Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

Have you fallen for all the scent prevention etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-27-2011, 05:53 PM
Gold Member

Re: Have you fallen for all the scent prevention etc

Activated charcoal is like a bunch of tiny sponge and will absorb odors. Problem is, it absorbs any and all odors until it gets full like a sponge full of water. Oh yeah, I forgot, you can activate it in your dryer........ Wrong. Activated charcoal is re-activated at 850 degrees F. Your dryer at 150 d/f does NOTHING. In conclusion; your charcoal suit is already FULL when you get it, and cannot be re-activated without destroying the garment.
Old 07-27-2011, 06:29 PM
Platinum Member

I'm 100% with JE on this one. agree with Winmag too.

Now that I'm shooting over into a different drainage, who.....cares!
Old 07-27-2011, 10:19 PM
Platinum Member

I use the scent killer spray because they work (to a point), but not the way most people would think. Sometimes I may be in the field for several days on end and don't carry several days worth of underclothes or get to shower while in a hide. I spray my underwear, undershirts, and socks with the stuff and after it dries put it in a vacuum bag and stick it in my ruck. Trust me, after a couple/few days in the summer heat I don't smell half as bad as the other fellas. I may not smell pleasant but I won't smell like soured *****. It at least works enough to fool my nose. A deer...probably not. A dog...wouldn't bet my safety on it, there are other deterents for that.
Old 12-11-2011, 03:01 PM
Bronze Member

Scent control helps control your order to acceptable levels for game. It doesnt make you stop stinky or even from being smelled just less of it.
Old 12-11-2011, 03:17 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken snyder View Post
smelling like bacon, eggs and chain saw bar oil seems to draw em in like love potion #9. Ask any logger with a severe case of gas and hangover breath if smell matters. Its 100% percent wind direction and scent pooling. And ya can't cover up the smell of liver and onions with air fresheners either!
LOL!!!!!!!
Old 12-11-2011, 07:31 PM
Gold Member

There is only one determining factor that sets very successful hunters and fisherman
apart from the rest; Time in the field. Nothing can replace it imho.
Old 12-11-2011, 09:19 PM
Platinum Member

Speaking of coyotes only here;

I once tried the scent killer spray for a few seasons, sprayed it on all of my camo clothing. I also put out skunk essence (extremely strong stuff) on each side of me when calling. I also tried spraying my hat and boots with coyote urine before each set.

Long story short, when the coyotes got downwind and the scent coming from me was close enough to the ground for them to smell..........they still smelled me and left the scene. They left just as fast as they did when I smoked cigarettes and didn't even bother trying to cover my scent.

I don't believe any amount of scent killer/cover scent will help us much around canines.