Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

Have you fallen for all the scent prevention etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-22-2011, 05:55 PM
Gold Member

Have you fallen for all the scent prevention etc

Just food for thought. I use a lot of the scent lok clothing, boots, spray etc. I am one of those if I think it can increase the odds just a little I want it. Had an old hunting buddy of my older brothers, very seasoned and accomplished hunter ask me on a hunt as I was standing there with all my garb on, do I think this stuff works with a big grin on his face. I laughed and said yes I think it helps. He replied White tail can smell acorns a half a mile away. You dont think there gonna smell you. lol. Then three years ago out east, my best buddy was with me on a wt hunt eastern plains archery. We were set up in a creek bottom and had made a blind along a blow down. had several does pass us and about ten thirty we were getting ready to leave. It was the last time we were hunting out there and my buddy as we were standing up lit a cigarette. We looked to our east and three bucks were coming down the creek bed. They passed downwind(to small to shoot, small forkeys and a six point) of us and never raised their heads. I believe the stuff works but do you think it works as advertised. Again just food for thought. My personal opinion is I think it helps some bust not like a lot of people you see that gets carried away with it. I still think playing the wind is the most crucial aspect.
Old 07-22-2011, 09:04 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Have you fallen for all the scent prevention etc

Having hunted over 50 years I have tried every thing known to man and the results were
no different than without it.

Wild game make there living with there nose and it is Hundreds of times better than ours
and I have to assume that they can seperate out the different scents and decide which is a
danger to them and which is not.

Like you, I play the wind and sometimes they come from down wind and don't seem to notice
and at other times I have seen them spook at 800 to 1000 yards with no chance of seeing me.

The only thing that seems to help noticeably is the use of the tent type ground blinds while
on the ground. They seem to keep your human scent inside .

But if it makes you more confident then by all means use them.

If you will notice most guides don't use scents or camo and they have to put you on the game
or they don't last long. They rely on skill of the stalk and scouting and also know the game well.

It is free enterprise at its best and lots of money has been made sooooo.

Just my opinion.

J E CUSTOM
Old 07-23-2011, 08:40 AM
Silver Member

There's a good article in Field and Stream this issue about scent control. They did some tests with a drug dog and they couldn't hinder him finding them no matter what products they used.

What I always tell people that ask me is " a hound can tell the freshest track from a trail several hours old within just a few feet. Otherwise he'd be running a back trail as much as the right one. How can you defeat that. You can't!!

Hunt the wind.
Old 07-23-2011, 09:49 AM
Silver Member

Smelling like Bacon, Eggs and Chain saw bar oil seems to draw em in like love potion #9. Ask any Logger with a severe case of gas and hangover breath if smell matters. Its 100% percent wind direction and scent pooling. And ya can't cover up the smell of liver and onions with air fresheners either!
Old 07-23-2011, 11:17 AM
Gold Member

LOL. I agree.
Old 07-23-2011, 05:54 PM
Platinum Member

I couldn't have put it any better than Mr. Snyder, haha. Scent pooling, etc.
I grew up in a logging , & ranching family, & the products pushed on the general public seem a bit far fetched. Filson wax, Bar oil, diesel, grease, etc all work fine but then again if you believe in it go for it. Any extra effort can't hurt anything but your pocket book.

"I have No idea why that cop made me ride in the back seat, when I Clearly called Shotgun!"
Old 07-26-2011, 07:21 AM
Silver Member

shoven a stick of charcoal up where the sun don't shine will work just as good. Only problem is when you go to buy camo most of it is equipped with the charcoal nonsence. I have gone to Swiss Army wool trousers and wool shirts along with a heavy parka and cheap fleece camo extra large over the parka to quiet things down in the bush.

Last edited by eaglesnester; 07-26-2011 at 07:25 AM.