Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

Have any of you been a Navy Seal?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2011, 04:10 AM
Platinum Member

Have any of you been a Navy Seal?

I am curious, if you have been, what is the training/selection process like?

My son has decided he wants to go Navy and he thinks he wants to be a SEAL.

He really likes the water and has taken a huge likeing to diving classes he's taken.

As a father, with him being my only son, and he being the only one that can carry on the family name when I am gone, I wish he'd pick something a little less dangerous, like underwater welding!

But it's his life, he's an adult now and will make his own choices.

Any info would be appreciated, and thank you in advance.

Old 03-19-2011, 07:25 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Have any of you been a Navy Seal?

I understand your feelings/concern.

You are a good father.

I was a Nuke........other end of the spectrum from the SEALs.
Old 03-19-2011, 08:31 AM
Silver Member

I tried but screwed my ankle BAD. The mind set is very important, meaning I WILL NEVER QUIT! They don't care how good a shape you are in, you will be broke down and thats when mind set comes in. World class atheletes have nothing on these men. Do not go into BUDS with low body fat ( I don't mean go as a tub of lard 10 to 15% will do well) you will need some to survive the first few weeks. Get as comphy with the cold as possible. No sleep is the norm for a few weeks. They will train you to shoot don't say "My pops taught me this way" they want you to do it their way, and it will cause you DO pain and suffering. Diving is fun, in warm water. The first place the COLD water comes in the wet suit is the groin. OH HELL!!!! Sky Diving. If you are scared of heights don't worry. If both your main and reserve don't open. Your not hurt just dead. KEEP THY COOLEST, LEST THE GROUND COME UP AND SMITE THEE. I do have over 100 jumps and loved all of them. ENJOY HELL WEEK! after that in your head all will be posible. But you have to make it first. 7 P's. PROPER PEVIOUS PLANING PREVENTS PISS POOR PEFORMANCE, Learn them, know them, live them. HONOR. Need I explain. Enjoy BUDS you will never forget your fun there.
Old 03-19-2011, 10:43 AM
Platinum Member

I was not in the military, but one of my classmates was a Seal and later a instructor.He is now a volunteer football coach for son at local school. He also played colledge ball. The training as you know is extreme and I will ask him if he has any numbers, but a very few percent actually make it. My 16 year old son has some of the same ideas, also are only child. He hangs with this mans son, so has heard many a story, like jumping out of a plane so high, they where on o2 and could see the curvature of the earth, at night. Land in the ocean, climb up on a built for speed , drug boat. When he jacked a round in his shotgun, he said ''Thats your warning shot" My son is under a bad influence?
Old 03-19-2011, 11:30 AM
Platinum Member

SBruce,

I know exactly what you mean and fully understand your situation. Having two sons, I made it known to them that they are in no means to serve despite 3 generations of military service in my family. In addition, told them that there are other means to serve this great nation.

Less than 2 weeks after I retired from the USAF, my son reported to the USAFA (graduating this May) and my youngest son is currently a freshman at University of Arizona under full NROTC scholarship.

I am very thankful for people like your son that shows military interest, esp. with the SEAL and for that matter for all the other services.

Here's a nice website with excellent information ...

Training | Navy SEALs Information & Resources

Good luck to you and your son. God bless all our troops.

Ed

I voted for my "FREEDOM", "GUNS", and "MONEY" - keep the change - UNK.

"I am always proud of my country!"

"Leadership Rule #2: Don't be an @zzhole." - Maj Gen Burton Field.
Old 03-19-2011, 12:05 PM
Platinum Member

Thanks guys,

I wasn't in either, wanted to but a shoulder surgery and screw in my shoulder kept me out...........the recruiters told me that "if you have any metal parts in your body, you're not eligable, they won't take you".?

BUDS............is that Basic Underwater Demolition School? Think I saw that in a movie once.

My son is pretty skinny. He doesn't have the stocky build that I got. Guess he'd better start eating more ice cream. He's got a shoulder injury that bothers him alot too, but he's never had surgery. Don't know how that will affect him?

Old 03-19-2011, 01:43 PM
Silver Member

My little brother did the Navy Seal training. He didn't make it!!! I wouldn't say underwater welding is safe. It is a very dangerous profession. A dear friend of mine died doing a underwater welding job.