Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

hard use luggage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-17-2010, 08:44 PM
Gold Member

hard use luggage

This might seem like an odd question for this forum, but I figured ya'll are hard on gear and mostly use top of the line stuff, so why not.

I have gone through 2 or 3 suitcases/duffles in the last year. They tear, the plastic inserts break, something always happens in short order that makes them trash. What do ya'll use for hard use luggage? I need something that can be strapped down without breaking, carried easily or wheeled, and can hold a week of stuff. I'd just use a Pelican case if they weren't so danged heavy!

Thanks!
Old 04-18-2010, 07:43 AM
Bronze Member

Re: hard use luggage

Been there done that! I have used Pelican 1650's for many years. About 2 years ago I bought a "The North Face" rolling duffel. After the first trip to Pakistan it showed a few battle scars but has not gotten much worse. All in all it has held up pretty well in "rough" service and is much lighter than the Pelican. But the Pelican is ready and waiting if needed.
Old 04-21-2010, 07:20 PM
Silver Member

I travel all over the world. I've found that these work very well.

LuggageWorks - Luggage, Duffels, Flight Kits, Rolling Bags, Airline Discounts - cldr
Old 04-21-2010, 09:17 PM
Silver Member

I have over a half million flier miles on Delta Airlines using a Orvis Duffle bag
They have sewn a new leather bottom into it for me
Old 04-21-2010, 09:56 PM
Gold Member

Take a look at Redd Ox in Billings, Mt. They are a couple of ex paratrouper guys that have been in business for years. First got connected up with them at a Safari Club banquet. I'm in construction and a wallet lasts me a year before it looks like heck - I saw where Redd Ox was making wallets and after 3 years it's as good as the day I bought it. I have a number of their peices - no luggage - such as rifle cases, binoc case etc. and you can't hurt them.
Old 04-23-2010, 06:26 AM
Silver Member

After this week I am also looking for a wheeled bag, the airlines have gotten the best of mine.
The wheels have given out.
Oakley makes a light weight bag with great wheels but I am not convinced the fabric is the best.
Cabelas has a good wheeled bag but it is HEAVY, the cost is high but worth it if it lasts.
The bag I was using is a Swissgear which has given very good service
Old 04-23-2010, 08:58 PM
Silver Member

Take a look at what the flight attendants and pilots use. Therein lies your answer.