Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

Hand loading for hire?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-21-2008, 07:37 AM
Platinum Member

Hand loading for hire?

Curious if any of you have done this and what you charge? I have a guy that would like me to develop loads for his rifles. One of his rifles I already have dies for, the other I do not. Should I have him buy the dies, or should I buy them and figure it into the price of load development? I am figuring on charging for material and then some figure for labor. The labor is the one I am struggling with.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Steve
Old 10-21-2008, 10:05 AM
Gold Member

Re: Hand loading for hire?

I absolutely love to reload. It's my anti-depressant for this wierd world we live in. I reload my friends stuff for nothing. They buy the components and dies (if necessary) and I do the rest. It's good for me and good for them.
Old 10-21-2008, 10:16 AM
Platinum Member

I do not do either reloading or devolopment for others. I will however assist and teach them to do it themselves. I have at least half a dozen guys who reload thier stuff using my equipment, but supply thier own componants. This arrangement has not been a problem at all, well except for that die that doublegobble stuck.....but he is worth the trouble since he keeps my game cams going.

The cost for me to load for someone would be cost prohibitive unless they prepped thier own brass. I know someone who works up loads and loads for others and only charges a couple bucks a round for his time and fifty bucks for the initial workup.
Old 10-21-2008, 10:36 AM
Platinum Member

Let me just say this----I will help anyone--drive for a couple of hours even BUT I will not load for anyone else period.

As an example --- an accident occurs you name it even something that you would not even consider to be associated with anything that I had to do with. In today’s society you can rest assured that someone’s, parents, widow, son or daughter would come after you. Money is money. After the Lawyers got finished telling the family that they need to go after me guess what I am out a significant sum plus my time.

NOT WORTH THE RISK!!!
Old 10-21-2008, 12:41 PM
Platinum Member

Good way to lose a car, house and all your $$$$!

Better call your insurance agent and ask him how much that is going to cost!

BH
Old 11-05-2008, 09:47 PM
Silver Member

I think that I would be more inclined to have him over, and show him how to do it, and after maybe help him purchase his own set up.
Old 11-05-2008, 10:42 PM
Platinum Member

Bosshoss is dead on ( Pardon the pun )

I will work up loads for a rifle and shoot them myself.and when an accuracy load
is found then I will give the load data to the owner with 1 less grain of powder and
tell him to reload with care because it's a max load and I have records of the test.

I would never load for anyone else because of the liability

I don't have much but it is mine and I intend to keep it.

J E CUSTOM