Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

Gun Safe

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2009, 09:18 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Gun Safe

Thanks for frilling us in, sounds like it worked out in the end for you.
Old 12-10-2009, 01:24 AM
Gold Member

I think the gun storage area is for shotguns or lever guns without scopes. I figure that I need to take their storage estimate and cut it in half.

We just put a safe in my parents place. It was bought from a local safe seller, and he has all the equipment to move it. It was brought to the house on a unmarked trailer that had a hydraulic floor, towed by an unmarked SUV. He has a stair climber, but it wasn't needed. He had slide strips, strips of teflon screwed to pieces of Oak, that had foam rubber on the bottom. It was really easy to slide the safe into position on them, then tip the safe to get them out. It was leveled with regular door shims, so the safe door would stay in whatever position it was in when open. IIRC, 72" H x 42" W x 28" Deep

Best of all, he said that if I'd help with delivery, delivery was free. You betcha!!!
Old 12-18-2009, 08:13 PM
Gold Member

I've purchased 3 Cannon safes from Costco. Great price on the safe and all 3 that I have purchased included free shipping right to my front door.

I've had good luck so far with my Cannon safes and I hope I always do because Cannons customer service is pretty damn close to nonexistent. I've found it impossible to get them to answer a call, email and or message.
Old 12-18-2009, 08:43 PM
Gold Member

A guy here was selling a safe cheap. Turns out he had been burglarized. they managed to turn/knock over he safe and cut the bottom out of it as it was much thinner steel. They stole all the fellows long guns but could not get through the next layer and get the hand guns.

Pay attention to the bottoms material and as has been mentioned, take the time to anchor it properly.
“When a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute despotism, it is their right, it is their duty to throw off such governments. …” Jefferson

We are very close to this point now.
Old 12-18-2009, 10:01 PM
Silver Member

Try bolting to the wall and not to the floor. When its bolted to the floor it can be rocked and the bolts pulled out. When its bolted to the wall you can't rock it. Altimatley if someone wants to steal it they will. I just bought a cannon from tractor supply last week and for the money it will do everthing I need it to do EXCEPT hold ALL my long guns.

NRA ENDOWMENT MEMBER
Old 12-18-2009, 10:16 PM
Silver Member

Have a Liberty safe my self, purchased it in Nj at a gun store with no sales tax as it was considered a safty item was deevered by Manufacturer placed in side and then bolted to floor safe weighted almost 700 lb enpty bolted down ain't nobody going to move it.
Old 12-19-2009, 01:33 AM
Gold Member

I just looked at the literature for the safe that we put in a month or so ago. 1075#. It sure didn't feel that heavy when we moved it - it felt a LOT lighter. The teflon runners sure helped get it in place!