Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

Gun restrictions while hunting in CO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-27-2012, 10:37 PM
Platinum Member

Gun restrictions while hunting in CO

Wasnt quite sure where to put this so please move it if there is a more appropriate place.

So i have a late season cow elk tag in sw colorado, my dad doesn't, can he carry our long range rig in his eberlystock in case we find ourselves in a LR situation? I will be carrying my 7mm-08 for shots in the 300 yards and in range and you the 338 Lapua for anything past that. I really dont want to be the one carrying a 14.5 lb gun in deep snow if i dont have to.
We will be hunting on private land with a guide.

Thanks in advance!
Riley

I'm 16
"Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth."
~George Washington

"The only advantage a light rifle has is weight, all other advantages go to the heavy rifle."
~ JE Custom

Biggest fail of 2014 so far... http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...ea-ftf-128972/

My guess on W3P .308 230 Grain Bullet: G1 .740-.755
Old 11-27-2012, 11:41 PM
Silver Member

Re: Gun restrictions while hunting in CO

I looked around a little, and didn't find anything explicitly. I remember from my CO hunter safety course that the instructor defined "hunting", as carrying a suitable weapon (bow, rifle, etc.) designed to take game, outdoors... That sparked all kinds of discussion in the class, but his understanding was that an "affirmative" act on your part was enough to demonstrate "hunting" (unless you were obviously target shooting).

To be safe, I'd give the DOW a call. They have always been very helpful when I gave them a ring. Just be sure to tell them that the rifle will be in a case, unloaded. (Contact Information | Colorado Parks and Wildlife).
Old 11-28-2012, 09:43 PM
Platinum Member

A couple weeks back while in CO a guy was telling me that the day before a game warden had jumped his butt and almost arrested him for holding his buddy's rifle while he was looking through a spotting scope. He had tagged out on a cow and was trying to help his buddy get his. He had me convinced enough that I wouldn't even carry a .357 mag on my belt walking around camp after I filled my tag.

The people trying to say the 2nd Amendment is outdated are probably the same folks that would say the same thing about the Bible.
Old 11-28-2012, 09:52 PM
Platinum Member

Thanks guys, DOW will probably be geting a call from us sometime this week.

Riley

I'm 16
"Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth."
~George Washington

"The only advantage a light rifle has is weight, all other advantages go to the heavy rifle."
~ JE Custom

Biggest fail of 2014 so far... http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...ea-ftf-128972/

My guess on W3P .308 230 Grain Bullet: G1 .740-.755
Old 11-29-2012, 12:36 AM
Gold Member

Just out of curiosity - let us know what you find out.
Old 11-29-2012, 02:25 AM
Platinum Member

Ask if your guide can carry the rifle.

The people trying to say the 2nd Amendment is outdated are probably the same folks that would say the same thing about the Bible.
Old 12-01-2012, 05:41 PM
Gold Member

Are there coyotes or other varmints our there? Dad could be coyote hunting.