Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

Gun for Grandaughter

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2006, 10:02 PM
Silver Member

Gun for Grandaughter

my grandaughter wants to start hunting with me. so i need a gun for her the question is what caliber we will be going to wisconsin next fall for a deer hunt and then maybe to colorado for elk i dont want something that kicks like my 300 rum i was thinking along the line of 7mm-08 what ya think thanks JIM
Old 02-07-2006, 10:25 PM
Gold Member

Re: Gun for Grandaughter

I just got my girlfriend to start hunting. A 25-06 had too much recoil velocity for her to handle without flinching after three or four rounds. She shoots my .243 into nice 3/4 MOA groups every trip out and never flinches. In a large/heavy rifle, the 708 should work. I would avoid the Model 7s IMO.
Old 02-07-2006, 10:33 PM
Silver Member

the gun im was looking is the weatherby vanguard compact 20in.barrle about 6 3/4 pounds unscoped
Old 02-07-2006, 10:50 PM
Bronze Member

Check out the Stevens model 200 by Savage for an inexpensive gun. I bought one for my daughter in 7mm-08, she shots 1/2 MOA with my gun rest and Hornady's 139 grain Interlocks. The price doesn't fit the accuracy of this little gun.
Old 02-07-2006, 11:00 PM
Platinum Member

For deer with a new recoil shy hunter you just cant go wrong with a 243 for less than 450 yrds with the right loads. For elk you would be looking at a different caliber. Not that a 243 cant do it because thousands have died from a 243 but with a new hunter I would opt for something with a little more horse power. I would give the 7-08, 260 a try if she is really little. If shes a bigger frame gall then I would try maybe one of the short mags. Either the remington or winchester short mag would do, but I would go with the winchester because it is more popular. If it is to much then have a muzzle brake put on. As for the short mags I would think any thing from the 270 to the 325 would work just fine. My favorite would be either the 7mm, 300 or 325. My little brother got a 300wsm for his 12 birthday and he handles it just fine. Course My familly is a little bigger than normal since my 12 year old brother stands six foot and 200lbs wearing a size 14 shoe. My dad and I both started out with 300wins and decided my little brothers first rifle should be close to the same. Hope this helps. As for rifle I have always had good luck with remingtons or savages.
Old 02-07-2006, 11:02 PM
Silver Member

My grand daughter shoots a 7-08,Ibought for her to use when she was 15.TSX 120 at 2600 don't recoil too hard and will kill anything that is properly hit.Since it is stored in my safe I also get to use it therefore it's a M 700 stainless w/clip.The youth model 7 is a good choice as the adult sized stock can be purchased later and grow with her
Old 02-07-2006, 11:55 PM
Platinum Member

I'll second what all of these folks said.

By the time it comes to hunt you'll most probably see that the recoil and stuff are no problem. granddaughters are way cooler than grandfathers when it comes to making the shot.:o [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

The 7-08 or 260 would be good choices. Savage seems to be the best price. Accuracy can be expected to be good. Then you can spend a bit more on the glass.

The savage stock can be fitted now and replaced for growth less expensively than some of the others.

Good luck, shooting and huntin.