Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

Group size measurement

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-15-2012, 02:47 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Group size measurement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Browninglover1 View Post
Jeff,
Are you sure it's in MOA? It seems like most posts (on other sites) that refer to a gun that shoots in the 1's, 2's, or 3's are talking about center to center measurements in inches because group sizes in the their matches are measured in inches. I however, could be mistaken.
Well, I was going by the fact that for all practical purposes 1 moa at 100 yards is 1". If I shoot a .2 group it would be .200" and since it is under .25 it is under 1/4".

I have referred to many groups at 1000 being .5 moa which is just under 5". Are we not talking about the same thing here?

If I posted something wrong I apologize. But my excuse is, I am a long range hunter, not a bench rest shooter , and this is LRH forum.

Jeff
Old 12-15-2012, 03:06 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broz View Post

If I posted something wrong I apologize. But my excuse is, I am a long range hunter, not a bench rest shooter , and this is LRH forum.

Jeff
I feel most long range hunters give their groups in MOA and usually in 1/4 MOA increments. I just usually hear about guns shooting in the 1's or 2's with the bench rest crowd.

By the way, I don't think anyone in their right mind would argue the fact that you're an excellent long range hunter!
Old 12-15-2012, 03:09 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Well, I was going by the fact that for all practical purposes 1 moa at 100 yards is 1". If I shoot a .2 group it would be .200" and since it is under .25 it is under 1/4".

I have referred to many groups at 1000 being .5 moa which is just under 5". Are we not talking about the same thing here?

Jeff
I don't think there is any issue with that.

"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready"-T. Roosevelt
Old 12-15-2012, 03:31 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Browninglover1 View Post
I feel most long range hunters give their groups in MOA and usually in 1/4 MOA increments. I just usually hear about guns shooting in the 1's or 2's with the bench rest crowd.
Thanks for the kind words.

So my thick skull is blocking something here. Isn't a .2 group saying it is 2 tenths of an inch and also 2 tenths of an moa? I must be missing something or confused.

Jeff
Old 12-15-2012, 03:53 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Thanks for the kind words.

So my thick skull is blocking something here. Isn't a .2 group saying it is 2 tenths of an inch and also 2 tenths of an moa? I must be missing something or confused.

Jeff
For all intents and purposes yes, but they still refer to their groups in inches not MOA at least from what I've read. Either way I think the OP now understands