Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

Grip Tape for Rifle Stock?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-24-2006, 06:02 AM
Bronze Member

Grip Tape for Rifle Stock?

Hi, I've got a rifle with one of those Bell and Carson Composite stocks. Everything about the setup is great, except that the stock is too smooth. I can't get a good grip on it.

Can anyone recommend a good kind of grip tape? I saw in the Natchez Shooters Supply catalog a neoprene thing that's designed for this. But I'm thinking I would like something more like the sandpaper-like tape that skateboarders use.

I need something that will last reasonably well, and that has strong enough adhesive that it won't peel off on my first trip in the field.

Thanks,

Ben
Old 07-24-2006, 06:21 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Grip Tape for Rifle Stock?

I use the 3-M type stuff that is put on stair treads 3M Safety-Walk. I buy the 4" type from the hardward store, they cut it off in short lengths.

I've haven't had it come loose even in very wet weather and submersion.

Here's some stuck to this little 44Mag.

Old 07-24-2006, 06:38 AM
Platinum Member

I built a skatebaord for my son and it was a full custom paint job by me so I did not want tape covering up my superior art work. I put one coat of polyurethane on top of the artwork paint and sprinkled sand on the wet poly and let it dry. Then I put two more coats of poly over that. Very rough textured surface that is "see through" and durable. Lot of work to do it my way and I do not know if poly will stick to a synthetic stock. Sand grain size is important too.
Old 07-24-2006, 07:59 AM
Platinum Member

I have the same trouble with the slick stocks. I call this my stick on checkering. I think it looks good on the HS Precision and Bell & Carlson stocks that come on my Accumarks. I use the tread grip tape from the RV supply store. I just cut it with scissors. It stays put very well. I only use it on my pistol grips because I only shoot with one hand.

Only accurate rifles are interesting.

Gordy and Brady.
Old 07-24-2006, 08:10 AM
Platinum Member

the tread grip tape that is sold at boat supply stores works very well also

Brownells sell some spray grit that works pretty well.
Old 07-24-2006, 09:36 AM
Silver Member

rustoleum sells paint that has a textured surface. just refinished a stock with it. worked great.

www.jglezos@aol.com
Old 07-24-2006, 01:08 PM
Platinum Member

Ben ,

I have a cz that shines like a mirror ,i oiled it good wiped it down then put a coat of wax on it.
One roll of plain old camo tape --> it protected the rifles finish ,was camo of coarse ,and had a grippy feel to it.
I liked it so well i didn't want to remove after a while the thought of rust got to me and i peeled it off.It was obviously well sealed ,not a spot of rust -still looked brand new.Next time i'll leave it on a few years.