Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

Great News, range re-opens

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-19-2005, 12:27 PM
Gold Member

Great News, range re-opens

Great news guys,
after 14 months of red tape, bureaucracy and stalling, our 1 mile range has finally been re-certified by the ministry of defence to commence shooting again.
We are all very excited and a trip will be planned for the near future. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Ian.
Old 05-20-2005, 12:19 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Great News, range re-opens

Ian,
Way back in the cobwebs of my brain there are recollections of shooting on the ranges at Bisley, intersperced with a lot more memories of drunken trips into London. Seem to recall stepping off one of your rail coaches thinking it was motionless - but it wasn't. Royal Military Tattoo, stuff like that flash-back also. Was a fine time for a young shooter. Seem to recall a lot of rain and foggy days, is that common in England [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Ian
Old 05-21-2005, 08:05 PM
Platinum Member

Good news indeed cp, so now you youve got to build a boomer in addition to that .243 AI [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 05-22-2005, 11:59 AM
Gold Member

Jimm,
I'm afraid my 243 AI project has been put on the back burner due unforseen circumstances.

With the right bullet my 243 will still be good for 1000yds and i've got my 300WSM for 1500yds.
My gong is ready and i am currently working on some portable shooting benches, once i have the ballistic software sorted, we are ready for the off!
Afull report will be up and coming. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Ian.

"I mean't to shoot the pike but the duck got in the way"
Old 05-23-2005, 09:14 AM
Gold Member

Hi Ian,
from 1989 to 1997 i travelled to Bisley to take part in the annual pistol fest and from what i can remember it only rained once, the rest of the time it was gorgeous spring weather but yes, it can be wet, cold and foggy at other times of the year.

Arrival at noon on Friday signalled the start of a three day party, interspersed with some shooting. Freindships were made and cemented (which last to this day),
herds of cattle were barbecued, reservoirs of beer were emptied and acres of tobacco went up in smoke, in the form of fine cogars, sore throats and hangovers were the order of the day.
As you can imagine we never won any competitions, the camerardery being the most important thing.

Ian.

Old 05-23-2005, 03:42 PM
Silver Member

Hello Ian

Is it bisley you are referring to then with the one miler?
Keep meaning to get down there but never made it so far!

Jeza
Old 05-24-2005, 08:07 AM
Gold Member

Hi Jeza,
Its Radnor Ranges in wales owned by Dave Ryan who runs Minsterly Ranges.
located on the A44 about 20 miles west of Leominster, it used by the old IMI testing ground with approx 1500 acres and ranges out 3000yds and approval for calibres up to 40mm but this has now been cut to a max of 1800yds and 50 cal.

Ian.