Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

Great Falls colder than south pole ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-08-2013, 01:28 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Great Falls colder than south pole ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomestone View Post
Still snow on the ground may 15 ,no cudding I snore we have better rest when we sleep alone. My problem today is, Whats the hang time on the beer before it solidify?
Being married 30 odd years, I've considered that on ocassion. Problem is the upstairs bedromm isn't heated. Besides, the wife is a proverbial furnace. Neither of us snore or if she does, I never hear it. I sleep on a CPAP machine so it's 30 seconds and lights out......

It's 19 here today and balmy.
Old 12-09-2013, 08:52 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidecarFlip View Post
Being married 30 odd years, I've considered that on ocassion. Problem is the upstairs bedromm isn't heated. Besides, the wife is a proverbial furnace. Neither of us snore or if she does, I never hear it. I sleep on a CPAP machine so it's 30 seconds and lights out......

It's 19 here today and balmy.
-47 wind chill in forecast for this afternoon, right on its not -50 . When you walk into the house your parka looks like its smoking, ha ha have a Great Day.
Old 12-09-2013, 10:59 AM
Platinum Member

3 Days in a row of record cold temps, Friday night (sat morning actually) I woke up at 3:30am for some stupid reason looked at the temp it was -39F, I do not know what the windchill was, don't care either. What I did care about was how terrible it made my truck ride on the way to work at 6:30. so far today it's warmed up a lot 17F but true to Havre the wind is getting with it, I hate the wind

Oh and tomestone's temps those are C, -47C = -52F
Keep in mind the animals we shoot for food and display are not bullet proof. Contrary to popular belief, they bleed and die just like they did a hundred years ago. Being competent with a given rifle is far more important than impressive ballistics and poor shootability. High velocity misses never put a steak in the freezer.

Joe
Old 12-09-2013, 11:11 AM
Silver Member

I hate the bitter cold but would gladly put up with it for a 2 week period if it would get to -40 for that long to kill the pine bettle explosion that we have here in Montana. I have read and heard that it takes 2 weeks of -40 to kill them off... years ago we always had enough bitterly cold periods to keep them knocked down... As Felix states I can't think of another good reason for bitter cold other then bug control..dgarrett
Old 12-09-2013, 01:20 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgarrett View Post
I hate the bitter cold but would gladly put up with it for a 2 week period if it would get to -40 for that long to kill the pine bettle explosion that we have here in Montana. I have read and heard that it takes 2 weeks of -40 to kill them off... years ago we always had enough bitterly cold periods to keep them knocked down... As Felix states I can't think of another good reason for bitter cold other then bug control..dgarrett
I can only think of one other reason C@#$dy @ss control
Keep in mind the animals we shoot for food and display are not bullet proof. Contrary to popular belief, they bleed and die just like they did a hundred years ago. Being competent with a given rifle is far more important than impressive ballistics and poor shootability. High velocity misses never put a steak in the freezer.

Joe