Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

Great factory accuracy guarantee!!! or not...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-19-2006, 09:29 AM
Gold Member

Great factory accuracy guarantee!!! or not...

Well, I just got off the phone with a customer service rep from a reasonably well known domestic rifle maker. After relating my tale of shotgun pattern like groups from a 26" heavy barreled 243, she proudly informed me " Our rifles are guaranteed to shoot two and a half inches or better at 100 yards."
Maybe ive been spoiled lately with my experences with factory rifles, but the idea that an american company would release a rifle onto the market, with its blessing, that would shoot no better than 2.5 MOA, and be so arragant as to stamp the word VARMINT, and an adjactive that implies that it is the best directly on the reciever is sad.

No, wait... its freaking depressing!

Ill hold of on saying too much more untill I get the rifle back from them in a week or so ( that was her claim), but with factory loads, this rig shot between 5 and 7 moa with everything I could feed it, and I could only coax 1.9 out of it EVER with my handlaods. Average ran just over 2"

Anybody else heard of an accuracy guarantee as liberal as this before?
Old 07-19-2006, 11:06 AM
Writers Guild

Re: Great factory accuracy guarantee!!! or not...

Yip, Barnes did an article through Shooting Times a few years back. Their QC standard was 1.5 MOA.

I am sure that has improved greatly over the years but....

Now you have brands like the Weatherby Vanguard where they test shoot them at the factory, pick out the good ones, call them SUB MOA, charge twice as much but still ship the other rifles.

Makes you want to run out and buy a basic Vanguard doesn't it????

Me, I will stick to the Savage/Stevens. A bit of work and they shoot sub MOA. What more can I ask for in a factory rifle that actually has a decent trigger and now a super dmag system.

Jerry
Old 07-19-2006, 11:36 AM
Bronze Member

What are the odds abinok is dealing with a Savage rifle?

DK
Old 07-19-2006, 11:49 AM
SPONSOR

I'd bet the rifle came in a green box!! My dad had this issue many years back. 2.5" is what they told him!!
Old 07-19-2006, 11:49 AM
Gold Member

none actually. Not a savage/stevens product. I may be looking for a barrel for my savage soon though... since ive got so much stuff wrapped up in the caliber now.
Old 07-19-2006, 11:53 AM
Gold Member

[ QUOTE ]
I'd bet the rifle came in a green box!! My dad had this issue many years back. 2.5" is what they told him!!

[/ QUOTE ]
Nope brown. Remington claims 2.5? that would explain a lot of the more recent production rifles [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Im so frustrated with this rifle you wouldn't believe it... ive tried 5 bullets, over 4 primers, and 4 powders in addition to 4 types of factory stuff. On the best loads ive even tried altering neck tension from .0005 up to .004" with little luck. Round count is now just over 200 without anything even approaching moa.
Im really... really hopeing that this one is a lemon, and thats why id rather not mention the brand... but the response of 2.5moa being good to go is not encouraging!
Old 07-19-2006, 02:56 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

All music to a custom rifle builders ears!!!

Keep it up big rifle companies!!!

5 to 7 moa at 100 yards, did you check to make sure the bore was even rifled? I have heard of a Marlin 17 HMR that was shipped from the factory without even having the bore rifled!!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com