Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

A Great Day of Long Range Shooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-27-2010, 09:54 AM
Platinum Member

A Great Day of Long Range Shooting

With the Montana big game seasons rapidly approaching. I am doing all the LR practice I can. So when a couple avid LR shooters contacted me and invited me along to bust some wild rocks, naturally I grabbed my rifle and came running.

I really enjoy the aspect of shooting rocks. I feel his is the best real world pracice I can get to prepair for that cold bore shot on game. Yesterday morning the wind was light and vaiable 4~7 mph. We were shooting from a plateau in the foot hills up into the mountains and across gulches. This is the exact kind of pracice I need. I started the shoot as we all agreed since God placed this nice rock on a bench at 1762 yards it must have been with us in mind as it was perfectly placed at 1 mile. I ran the field conditions from my kestrel 2500 NV and entered them into my Dell axim pda with the Nightforce program. Doped the scope and settled in for the first shot of the day. The sun was giving me a ton of glare and I had to crank the 8~32 NXS down a bit to get a clearer view. I took a breath, released 1/2 and held while I waited for the wind to settle a bit and touched it off. It landed dead on for elevation but about 1 1/2 ft left. Yep.. I missed the wind as I felt I could shoot as it layed down a bit. Lesson learned again.. Dial all the wind you think you have, I seem to tend to want to play it for less that it really is. So I gave it another 1 moa rt and sent another for a solid center mass hit.

We then spent some time busting rocks from 800 ~ 1250 yards or so and all were shooting very good. I was extremely happy with my cold bore shots in this distance area. So before we quit we decided to send a few at a rock that was 2295 yards on a grass hillside comming out of a huge gulch. One of the guys got pretty close and suprisingly he sent 3 hits close to it with them all landing in about a 4 foot area. Pretty good for a 300 win with 208 a-max's going subsonic. I was impressed. When I engaged the 2295 yard rock I ran out of dial up. The 8~32 NXS only has 65 moa and I needed 87.5. So I dialed all I had and used the reticle to hold over for the rest. Once again I documented live proof I am terrible at hold over shots..

I really enjoyed the good company and had a grat time. Wanted to share the few pics I took and the story.

Jeff

The rifle line up.

Another line up and the hillside with the 2295 yard rock.

One of the guys engaging the rock at 2295.

Old 08-27-2010, 01:50 PM
Platinum Member

Re: A Great Day of Long Range Shooting

Jeff,

Nice line up of toys. BTW, you're having way too much fun here in MT.

Happy safe shooting/hunting.

Ed

I voted for my "FREEDOM", "GUNS", and "MONEY" - keep the change - UNK.

"I am always proud of my country!"

"Leadership Rule #2: Don't be an @zzhole." - Maj Gen Burton Field.
Old 08-27-2010, 02:04 PM
Gold Member

Wish we had those wild rocks here in Illinois.....all we have is the tame variety.

Sounds like a great time, I'm jealous!
Old 08-27-2010, 02:34 PM
Platinum Member

Outstanding location to shoot ..
Looks like you have more WILD rocks than bullets

Good shooting!

BigBuck
Old 08-27-2010, 06:56 PM
Gold Member

i agree with you guys i dont have wild rocks around here in PA. Anyway great shooting Jeff and those are some nice rifles. Continue the good work (fun) and you will no doubt have a very successful big game season.
Old 08-27-2010, 06:58 PM
Gold Member

oh i almost forgot can you give us the calliber of each gun? Thanks
Old 08-27-2010, 07:52 PM
Platinum Member

Broz,
Sure is a great way to spend the day........................

"The 8~32 NXS only has 65 moa and I needed 87.5. "

What calibre were you shooting??? It looks like you were shooting at high altitude, this would help a lot.

I have shot to a similar distance at sea level with my .338 Edge and 5.5-22x56 Nightforce and also ran out of room but needed a lot more elevation than 87.5 MOA.

Wind drift is considerable at that distance.

Last edited by Topshot; 08-27-2010 at 07:58 PM.