Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

Grandfather's WW1 Diary

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-2007, 11:30 AM
Gold Member

Grandfather\'s WW1 Diary

I thought this might be of interest to one or 2 of you:

Today, my Father (aged 80) gave me my Grandfather’s WW1 diary that’s been buried away for years. I’ve been looking at it all afternoon in awe; my Grandfather was in the ‘same line of work’ as me; and many of the training areas he mentions in his build up to going to France are places I’ve trained and lived……I wish I’d had the chance to chat to him about his experiences, sadly he died when I was a boy. Here are a couple of pages:

Leaving Blighty (‘Soton’ is Southampton) over following days he describes moving up to the Front and the increasing noise of (once distant) battle:

A short entry having only a few days before mentioned coming under fire for the first time. When you consider that most modern scraps would have barely been a quiet Wednesday afternoon on the Western Front, I find the understatement rather humbling:

Note the date of these 2 entries, I suspect he’s describing fire in support of the Battle of the Somme, but need to do a little more research:

and to anyone who wonders about my ballistic nerditry; it seems to be in the genes [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] one of several pages of notes at the back:

Old 03-17-2007, 11:39 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Grandfather\'s WW1 Diary

Great Heirloom.

Now thats what I call a drop table!

Thanks for sharing,
Don

My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives
Old 03-17-2007, 01:00 PM
Platinum Member

all i can say is WOW! that is positively great stuff. i like "his computer" better than the units we have today.
Old 03-17-2007, 03:57 PM
Bronze Member

Brown dog, You are lucky to have such an intimate insite of your grandfather - it's a real snap shot of what he experienced. Please keep posting excerpts if you can, and thanks for sharing it with us.

TAC
Old 03-17-2007, 04:46 PM
Platinum Member

Brown Dog,
A while back I was fortunate to read my uncles diaries from his tour in WW2 as the tailgunner in a Lancaster that flew 25 missions or whatever it was to get to a point where they did not have to go out anymore. Amazing detail - he still relives that war to this day. Family momentos like that are so important, now everyone carries cell phones and digital cameras.
Old 03-17-2007, 05:31 PM
SPONSOR

Very cool. That is something to cherish for sure.
Old 03-17-2007, 06:23 PM
Gold Member

Brown
I would like to buy an copy of them . I love to learn about W W 1 an W W 2.
If I was you I would make an Video copy of what ever he would tell me about WW 1 .
I was told storys about the Wars by my grand dad .
But I did knot Video them . an I can knot recall all of them know .

Redbone

Kill more Coyotes

Feed The Buzzards