Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

GPS

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-02-2009, 01:06 PM
Silver Member

Re: GPS

Anything made by Garmin. Never played with the Rino very much, but I have used the GPSMAP 60 series extensively (along with Trimble and Magellan units) for work. Garmin is hands down more user friendly and for hunting/hiking applications is more than accurate enough. If you have trouble with getting satellites in your area (cloud cover does affect reception, although not as significantly as tree canopy) you can get external antenas for under $100 that will markedly improve satellite reception.

I would also recommend getting one with a color screen and able to download contour maps, roads, etc. If you have access to GIS software you could create and load property lines as well.

Old 10-02-2009, 02:21 PM
Platinum Member

Re: GPS

Thanks Timberbeast7,

I have a friend that's in the surveying buissness, maybe he will have the GIS software not sure what that is though? Thanks for all the helpfull INFO.

Bigbuck