close
Long Range Hunting Online Magazine


Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

Reply

GPS

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Unread 09-28-2009, 03:51 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,654
GPS

I was wandering what style of GPS that fellow LRH members are using? I need one that will allow me to mark up to 4 different stands in thick timber . Any advice on which one to purchase will be greatly appreciated

BIGBUCK
__________________
"Molon Labe"
IN DIXIE WE DON"T CALL 911 !
Reply With Quote
  •   #2  
    Unread 09-28-2009, 04:46 PM
    Gold Member
     
    Join Date: Mar 2008
    Posts: 581
    Re: GPS

    To the best of my knowledge, none work really well in really thick timber. Me and my camp all use the rhino's and love them. If a stand is in an area i cant get satelites, i have always been able to move 20-30 yards and find an opening to get a reading.

    the best part is that they are also radio's. not the best of radios, but everytime i transmit, it tells everyone else exactly where i am and vice versa. when someone gets an elk down, they call me and it updates there location. I hit "go to" and it takes me right to them.
    Reply With Quote

      #3  
    Unread 09-28-2009, 07:03 PM
    Platinum Member
     
    Join Date: Feb 2008
    Location: Wampum, PA
    Posts: 1,530
    Re: GPS

    I like the features of the rhino but if your the only one with a gps you won't be needing the features. The gps uses satellites to locate your position so if you can't clearly see the sky(clouds are not a hindrance but trees are) it won't be able to see the satellites. I use a cheap garmin I believe I paid $80 for it and it works just fine. You can store 30 "way points"(locations, tree stands, etc.) in it. We are going to switch to rhinos this year though.
    __________________
    "I may be dumb, but I'm not stupid." - Terry Bradshaw
    Reply With Quote
      #4  
    Unread 09-28-2009, 07:52 PM
    Gold Member
     
    Join Date: Jul 2006
    Location: AB, Canada
    Posts: 556
    Re: GPS

    +1 for Garmin Rhino 520/530 2way radio and gps. Very handy and life savings
    __________________
    Thanks
    CJ
    My 338Edge
    Reply With Quote
      #5  
    Unread 09-29-2009, 10:29 AM
    Platinum Member
     
    Join Date: Jun 2009
    Posts: 1,654
    Re: GPS

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 300rum View Post
    +1 for Garmin Rhino 520/530 2way radio and gps. Very handy and life savings
    Thanks guys for the replies . So were do I get a Garmin Rhino and how much does it cost? One more question will it show me property lines I'm not real good with electronics so bear with me

    BIGBUCK
    __________________
    "Molon Labe"
    IN DIXIE WE DON"T CALL 911 !
    Reply With Quote
      #6  
    Unread 09-29-2009, 10:35 AM
    Gold Member
     
    Join Date: Jul 2006
    Location: AB, Canada
    Posts: 556
    Re: GPS

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bigbuck View Post
    Thanks guys for the replies . So were do I get a Garmin Rhino and how much does it cost? One more question will it show me property lines I'm not real good with electronics so bear with me

    BIGBUCK
    NO THE GPS WILL NOT SHOW YOU PROPERTY LINES.
    You will got 3d map with river, creeks, lakes, clifs, city, etc, roads, rangeroads, mountains, but not property lines.
    You can get a Rino from any dealer in USA or Ebay (the best price) Make sure you get 530 or up (comes with baro pressure, temp, elev and radio station too. If you get the USA version you will have double radio transmission. The Canadian one are limited by half. So make sure the unit is USA.
    __________________
    Thanks
    CJ
    My 338Edge
    Reply With Quote
      #7  
    Unread 09-29-2009, 11:33 AM
    Platinum Member
     
    Join Date: Jun 2009
    Posts: 1,654
    Re: GPS

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 300rum View Post
    NO THE GPS WILL NOT SHOW YOU PROPERTY LINES.
    You will got 3d map with river, creeks, lakes, clifs, city, etc, roads, rangeroads, mountains, but not property lines.
    You can get a Rino from any dealer in USA or Ebay (the best price) Make sure you get 530 or up (comes with baro pressure, temp, elev and radio station too. If you get the USA version you will have double radio transmission. The Canadian one are limited by half. So make sure the unit is USA.
    Thanks, Sounds like one fine little walkie talkie

    BIGBUCK
    __________________
    "Molon Labe"
    IN DIXIE WE DON"T CALL 911 !
    Reply With Quote
    Reply

    Bookmarks

    Thread Tools
    Display Modes



    All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:35 AM.


    Powered by vBulletin ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Content Management Powered by vBadvanced CMPS
    All content ©2010-2015 Long Range Hunting, LLC