Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

GPS

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-28-2009, 03:51 PM
Platinum Member

GPS

I was wandering what style of GPS that fellow LRH members are using? I need one that will allow me to mark up to 4 different stands in thick timber . Any advice on which one to purchase will be greatly appreciated

BIGBUCK
Old 09-28-2009, 04:46 PM
Gold Member

Re: GPS

To the best of my knowledge, none work really well in really thick timber. Me and my camp all use the rhino's and love them. If a stand is in an area i cant get satelites, i have always been able to move 20-30 yards and find an opening to get a reading.

the best part is that they are also radio's. not the best of radios, but everytime i transmit, it tells everyone else exactly where i am and vice versa. when someone gets an elk down, they call me and it updates there location. I hit "go to" and it takes me right to them.
Old 09-28-2009, 07:03 PM
Platinum Member

I like the features of the rhino but if your the only one with a gps you won't be needing the features. The gps uses satellites to locate your position so if you can't clearly see the sky(clouds are not a hindrance but trees are) it won't be able to see the satellites. I use a cheap garmin I believe I paid $80 for it and it works just fine. You can store 30 "way points"(locations, tree stands, etc.) in it. We are going to switch to rhinos this year though.
Old 09-28-2009, 07:52 PM
Gold Member

+1 for Garmin Rhino 520/530 2way radio and gps. Very handy and life savings
Old 09-29-2009, 10:29 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 300rum View Post
+1 for Garmin Rhino 520/530 2way radio and gps. Very handy and life savings
Thanks guys for the replies . So were do I get a Garmin Rhino and how much does it cost? One more question will it show me property lines I'm not real good with electronics so bear with me

BIGBUCK
Old 09-29-2009, 10:35 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbuck View Post
Thanks guys for the replies . So were do I get a Garmin Rhino and how much does it cost? One more question will it show me property lines I'm not real good with electronics so bear with me

BIGBUCK
NO THE GPS WILL NOT SHOW YOU PROPERTY LINES.
You will got 3d map with river, creeks, lakes, clifs, city, etc, roads, rangeroads, mountains, but not property lines.
You can get a Rino from any dealer in USA or Ebay (the best price) Make sure you get 530 or up (comes with baro pressure, temp, elev and radio station too. If you get the USA version you will have double radio transmission. The Canadian one are limited by half. So make sure the unit is USA.
Old 09-29-2009, 11:33 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 300rum View Post
NO THE GPS WILL NOT SHOW YOU PROPERTY LINES.
You will got 3d map with river, creeks, lakes, clifs, city, etc, roads, rangeroads, mountains, but not property lines.
You can get a Rino from any dealer in USA or Ebay (the best price) Make sure you get 530 or up (comes with baro pressure, temp, elev and radio station too. If you get the USA version you will have double radio transmission. The Canadian one are limited by half. So make sure the unit is USA.
Thanks, Sounds like one fine little walkie talkie

BIGBUCK