Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

Gotta love em!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-03-2006, 10:50 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Gotta love em!

I thought of another one, We were at the range last summer messing about and this twit starts telling us that his handloads for his 280 were so fast 4000 fps+ that the last deer he shot was burned inside and smoking when he got to it. I said did you shoot it in the lungs, and are you sure it wasnt steam he said no I ain 't stupid. Then I said how far, he said 450 yards. Now the other thing is this guys smokes like a chimmeny is at least 250 pounds over weight and it would take him 4 hrs to walk that far in the hills by that time the darn deer would of been frozen anyway LOL

Old 06-04-2006, 12:04 AM
Gold Member

My favorties are the guys selling the guns trying to pump that smelly goo on me. I would have to say Gander Mt followed by Bass Pro and Academy are the top of the list. You can hear how you need a 300 WM to kill deer in S Texas because the senderos can extend several miles. The latest expert I conversed with shoots a 300 WM with 150 gr bullets at just over 3500 fps in his Sendero. He knows they go that fast because his buddy's reloading book says they will go almost 3400 fps and everybody knows you can't duplicate how hot factory loads are. His rifle is sighted in an inch high at 100 yards because that is all he needs with the big objective on his Simmons 44mag scope to shoot to the horizon. He had asked me to bring him back a target from the 300 RSAUM Sendero I traded for at that store.

That is a picture of the group I gave him. It is a picture of the last 10 shots I fired while breaking the rifle in. I was told his rifle would do a little better than that at 350 yards, but he wanted a copy to show his buddies how small a group a RP factory Sendero will shoot. I wanted to ask him why he couldn't show his buddies a target he shot since his was better, but he doesn't shoot paper anymore. He knows where his rifle shoots so he doesn't have to practice with it anymore.

Who wants to run down to Gander Mt. with me and talk with their experts? Don't forget to bring your waders, it runs too deep for my boots! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]
Old 06-04-2006, 01:09 AM
Platinum Member

It seems that it is time to refresh some memories and fill in the newbies on the origin of my signature line. The story follows...

It was said to me while I was working at Gart sports in the hunting and fishing department. The man insisted that it was 800 yards and that he simply placed the stadia line on the back of the deer. When I showed him the printed ballistics in the remington ammo catalog for a 30-06 as dropping 20+ feet even with a 500 yard zero he told me that "paper aint hunting" and "a 270 shoots flatter than an 06 anyway".

The grossly obese man said this all while trying not to breathe hard from his strenuous walk to the back of the store. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img] It is my estimation that he couldn't hit a truck wheel at 100 yards without oxygen and a mono-pod and that the 800 yards was measured as he drove off the back of the hill he was parked on and went around to the back of the hill (100 yards away) that the deer was dead on.

"And thats the way it is." Walter Cronkite.
Old 06-05-2006, 07:56 AM
Platinum Member

[ QUOTE ]
He proceeds to tell me, those loads in the manual dont mean anything, you can go over by 1-2-3 grains. He was claiming to get 4500 fps with a 58g vmax out of a 243, no cronograph.

[/ QUOTE ]

Rem, 2 things!

1 Apparently his eyes are calibrated so he does not need a chrono.

2 Stay away from him when he fired that thing. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 06-05-2006, 12:57 PM
Platinum Member

Yessir a crony and a good range finder have let the air out of a lot of guys[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Now if you want to hear the best BS of all bring up the BMG,stand back and try not to fall down laughing [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Was talking prairie dogs the other day with a dude that claimed he shot dogs last weekend with an ex military sniper that was blowing them to pieces over 1000y consistantly.When I asked him how he got the spotter tracer that consistant he pules out a case from his pocket and says he was shooting regular ball ammo.The headstamp was Yugo [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]I think I hurt his feelings when I fell againt the wall laughing.
Old 06-05-2006, 08:18 PM
Silver Member

The gunshop I hang out at seems to attract the same crowd. One of my favorites was a guy who walked in and asked to see an M1 carbine. He raved about how great a caliber the 30-30 that it shot was. The owner stepped in and quietly told the guy it was not a 30-30 but a 30 cal. The guy shot back loudly- Young man, I'll have you know I carried this here rifle for 3 years of my life and I know it's a 30-30. The owner backed away, grabbed a box of 30-30 and handed the ammo and rifle to the guy, saying if you can chamber a round in that gun you can have it. free. the guy looked at the bullet, pulled the mag, looked at the mag, looked at the bullet, sat everything down on the counter and walked straight out the door. That was our entertainment for the day. It's so much more fun when they realize they are an idiot.

Be kind to your neighbors... shoot quietly..
WWW.Gem-tech.com
WWW.Advanced-Armament.com
Old 06-05-2006, 09:36 PM
Gold Member

LMAO!!!

I will say one of my first encounters with my dad and getting into reloading involved the mighty 30 carbine. The owner of the shop was a Korean and Vietnam vet. He always had a 45 Colt cocked and locked in his belt, a Mossberg pump by the register and an AR-15 by his stool in the back. He reloaded his carbine with military surplus powder directly out of a keg. He simply dipped primed cases in the powder, brushed off the excess with his finger and seated the 100 or 110 gr Speer half-jacket bullets. He reloaded .223 the same way for his other toy. I always thought he was crazy as a kid. Surely his loads were erratic, but he was shooting them out of a 30 carbine with who knows how many rounds through it. He had a short-range shooting range under his store, maybe 25 yards. I am sure he got bored and shot daily down there as he was ALWAYS loading up rounds for the 30 carbine every time I can remember entering his shop.