Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

Got my Lion Back

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-10-2012, 07:50 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Got my Lion Back

Harper, you are right. Getting a cat to look good is one of the toughest. So many come out looking like Garfield the cartoon cat...

The Story, Well we hunt cats as soon as it opens right after elk season. I have a good friend with some awesome dogs. I use to run hounds and even competed years back in field trials. I would love to own a couple of his dogs, they will flat azz smoke a track, even one 15 to 20 hours old. So this was the first cat I killed and it was a male that weighed 145 lbs. The chase was in some pretty rough country, but a beautiful area. I shot it with my Weatherby 17 HMR. The HMR will do a great job but placement is very important. Stick one in the crease on a perfect broadside shot and they will expire pretty darn quickly. The bullet sends fragments into the heart. Pin hole entrance and no exits. I have taken 2 others since, one about 3 days ago and one last year. Yesterday morning I left to look for tracks at 4:00 am. My buddy had been out since 1:00 am. There was a large male track going through my yard. I mean right by the house. In fact he walked right past my garage doors about 2' from them. A local ranchers daughter shot this male after we ran the hair right off him and put him in a tree. Using my shoulder for a rest she put a slug from her 223 right where I told her. Gotta love the Montana gals, never under eximate this cute little blond gal. I have seen her rope and ride with the best of them and she can shoot too. She hiked right to the tree and closed the deal.

My wife was glad to hear we shot the window peeker. He weighed 152 lbs. I will post a few pics tonight. Gotta run we are after the lions again today and I need to get out and look for a track.

Jeff
Old 12-10-2012, 08:34 AM
Gold Member

That's a sweet mount and a great story
Old 12-10-2012, 10:16 AM
Platinum Member

Nice tigger Jeff!
My cousin had one mounted in a similar fasion, he put it on his wall right at the front door so it was the first thing you saw walking in his house.
Keep in mind the animals we shoot for food and display are not bullet proof. Contrary to popular belief, they bleed and die just like they did a hundred years ago. Being competent with a given rifle is far more important than impressive ballistics and poor shootability. High velocity misses never put a steak in the freezer.

Joe
Old 12-10-2012, 01:21 PM
Gold Member

What did the taxidermist charge? (This is the only way for me to know "what's reasonable" when talking to taxidermists.)

Thanks!
Old 12-10-2012, 01:48 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buano View Post
What did the taxidermist charge? (This is the only way for me to know "what's reasonable" when talking to taxidermists.)

Thanks!
Well, I know the guy well and he treats me good, but the going rate among the better guys around here is $3k including habitat. Also, I will warn that I have seen the workings of less expensive guys and there is a reason they charge less. I feel if it is worth mounting and a valued trophy it is worth a few hundred more.

Jeff
Old 12-10-2012, 01:49 PM
Gold Member

Jeff,
Good looking mount, congratulations on the last one also. I'm sure there will be a story to follow.

Rick
Old 12-10-2012, 02:32 PM
Silver Member

Great lookin' cat! From the pics it certainly looks like it was done right. Congradulations.
Pete