Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

Got lucky this morning ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-29-2013, 07:11 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Got lucky this morning ...

Yep, Big R's (in GF) hunting/fishing and outdoors section has expanded significantly just in the last year and giving Big Bear and Scheel's a good competition. I work at Malmstrom so it's just a quick hop for me on a lunch break or on my way home.

I voted for my "FREEDOM", "GUNS", and "MONEY" - keep the change - UNK.

"I am always proud of my country!"

"Leadership Rule #2: Don't be an @zzhole." - Maj Gen Burton Field.
Old 04-29-2013, 07:37 PM
Silver Member

I got unlucky this morning. The local Sportsman’s Wholesale had not one single pound of powder. They said a truck was coming in tonight with several hundred pounds of Alliant powders and that it would all be gone tomorrow. They can’t get any other brands of powder right now. They also had no primers but some coming in on the truck and maybe 10% of a normal stock of bullets – mostly ones you wouldn’t want though they did have some brass. The guy at the gun counter mentioned that Glock is 189 days of production behind on orders and they make 5,000 guns per day. Sportsmans also can’t keep any scope worth a crap in stock. Interestingly the gun counter was full of rifles. Lots of Weatherby Vangards and Winchester sporters. I figure that a real rifles needs a 26” varmit contour barrel or heavier so these were of little interest to me but they were there. Pretty amazing that this is still going on.
Old 04-29-2013, 09:53 PM
Silver Member

Yep, i buy alot from them, glad they finally started to stock Berger bullets, lord knows i bent their ear enough! Now if they would only stock bulk pistol bullets i really wouldn't need to go anywhere else. Scheels is a buck or two more on bullets, but a buck or two less on powder, plus they carry bulk cast bullets.
Big Bear leaves me shaking my head every time i leave, i don't bother going there much.
Do you use the locals much (Electric City or Mitchels)? Kevin over at Electric city is an A1 guy and always cuts us a square deal, we buy alot used from him, plus he's cheaper than any of the other places in town to do FFL transfers on new guns, and we like keeping the money local. Sure do love that he keeps used reloading equipment and usually some secondhand/partial boxes of bullets and such from estates he buys. He usually has had some .22 in stock since he is a small place and it seems like nobody hits him like they wipe out the big stores. Jim at Mitchells is another top notch guy, he tought me 4-H shooting sports as a kid and i bought my carry gun from him.
Old 04-29-2013, 10:04 PM
Platinum Member

Now that I think about it, I did buy those Rugers at Big Bear, it was somewhere over there on the South side of 10 Ave S... oh well it was about 25 years ago

Lets hope things keep improving

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Old 04-29-2013, 10:29 PM
Silver Member

What are those???? Oh yeah...It's been so long I have forgotten what they look like. My M&P22 is thirsty for a brick. Hopefully one day.
Old 04-29-2013, 10:40 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 429421Cowboy View Post
Do you use the locals much (Electric City or Mitchels)?
Nope, just look around but that's about it.

There's a new store but have not made it there yet >>> Highwood Creek Outfitters >>> Home Page

I voted for my "FREEDOM", "GUNS", and "MONEY" - keep the change - UNK.

"I am always proud of my country!"

"Leadership Rule #2: Don't be an @zzhole." - Maj Gen Burton Field.
Old 04-30-2013, 12:49 AM
Silver Member

I saw them come up on Gun Genie a few weeks back, their quote was certainly less than anybody elses in town. I didn't see where they have a storefront though?