Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

Good public land Speed Goat areas

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-27-2006, 06:00 PM
Bronze Member

Good public land Speed Goat areas

Hi there fellers, Hunting season ( is winding down next weekend and of course I'm already thinking of next season. I'm thinking of going back west while I can still enjoy it. Any ideas of where to go? I'll be driving out, making it a "do it yourself" trip. Looking mostly for over the counter licences and good numbers of antelope. I'm not concerned with B&C trophies. Thanks in advance. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-28-2006, 09:03 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Good public land Speed Goat areas

As far as I know and I don't know much, there is no such thing as over the counter antelope licenses for bucks. Wyoming has over the counter doe/fawn permits for about $30 and you can get up to four of them in some areas.

In the western states with antelope you can go up on the BLM site and download a public lands map. You can get maps from "publiclands.org"

I also use the Univ of Texas map library

online maps

You will need to also download maps from the state fish and game agency on units and then download the draw success tables. For Wyoming in the units with lots of federal lands there is only about a one in three chance of drawing.

Like I say, I don't know much about it but the information will get you started.
Old 12-29-2006, 12:27 AM
Gold Member

Draw odds are decent in MT also. Lots of public land and block management opportunities. Look up the MT regs online. Good luck. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 12-29-2006, 09:47 AM
Bronze Member

Thanks guys, I don't really care if it's buck or doe, just trying to enjoy the hunt. May even include some varmints in the mix! Thanks again.
Old 12-30-2006, 04:24 PM
Platinum Member

You might look at Keyhole state park there in the Black Hills and then hunt the National Grasslands. I spent one night at the State park and really enjoyed it. Very nice lake and nice campsites. Deserted place with no people and I had it to myself. There seems to be a nearly hundred percent chance of drawing a buck permit. I don't know much about the grasslands but it might be "interesting". I don't know how the hunting is. Don't know about prairie dogs there.

I'll post a few pictures that I took at the Keyhole state park.
Old 12-30-2006, 04:49 PM
Platinum Member

Here are some pictures taken at Keyhole State Park in Wyoming

First picture is an antelope doe and fawn.

Second picture is a deer doe and fawn on the far side of the lake getting a drink.

Third picture is a stupid bunny that lived in the culvert.

Last picture is a white pelican swimming in the lake and a flock of wild turkeys getting a drink. They are the black dots to the left of the pelican and right below the big boulder.

I have a picture of a clear blue sky where I tried to take a picture of a flying bald eagle but missed. I assume you have seen clear blue sky before in your life so I didn't post it.

Old 12-31-2006, 06:05 PM
Silver Member

Bob,
I'm trying to plan a pronghorn hunt in WY for next fall myself. Isn't Keyhole S.P. in Unit 3?