Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

Good-News!!!-(New-Rifle-Project)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2007, 07:29 PM
Platinum Member

Good-News!!!-(New-Rifle-Project)

Hey-guys;well-I-sold-all-of-my-rifles(8-rifles-Total)-scopes(5-Scopes-Total)-handguns-ect.-I-was-able-to-pay-off-some-bills-and-put-a-ton-of-money-away.-I-also-found-out-that-even-though-I-am-loosing-my-job-in-August;-I-will-have-a-job-as-soon-as-I-am-let-go.-So-here-is-the-good-news;-I-am-going-to-be-able-to-build-one-rifle-for-long-range-varminting.-Here-are-the-specs-for-the-new-rig;

1.-7mm-Rem-Mag-or-7mm-WSM-I-havn't-decided-yet.
2.-Lawton-7500-Action;-1.450-diameter;-Fluted-Bolt;-oversized-bolt-knob.
3.-Lawton-30"-barrel;-1&10-twist;-1.350-tapered-to-1.250-at-muzzle.
4.-McMillan-Tooley-MBR-stock-3-pounds-weight-added-to-rear-Color-80%Black-10%Grey-10%White.
5.-Jewel-2oz-Trigger
6.-Vias-Muzzle-Brake
7.-Lawton-Base-with-20MOA
8.-Nightforce-30mm-Rings
9.-Nightforce-8x32x56mm-NXS-with-NP-R2-reticle

I-want-to-go-with-a-7mm;becuase-I-want-more-power-than-a-6mm;-the-7mm-has-many-high-BC-bullets-in-Ballistic-Tips;-V-Max;-A-Max;-Matchking-and-Berger-VLD-bullets.

I-am-having-some-difficulty-deciding-on-what-7mm-to-go-with.-The-7mm-Rem-Mag-or-7mm-WSM.-They-both-hold-the-same-amount-of-powder-and-their-velocity-potential-is-the-same.-If-I-go-with-the-7mm-Rem-Mag;-I-can-shoot-the-bigger-and-longer-bullets.-I-am-probably-going-to-shoot-bullets-between-120-to-162grns.-So-I-am-thinking-the-7mm-WSM-might-be-the-way-to-go.-The-good-thing-is;-Norma-makes-7mm-Rem-Mag-Brass-and-300-WSM-brass-that-can-be-necked-down-to-7mm.-If-I-go-with-the-7mm-WSM;I-am-thinking-I-might-get-some-pressure-issues(Maybe).-I-had-a-7mm-Rem-Mag-before;-and-I-used-it-for-long-range-varminting.-It-was-an-awesome-shooting-rig-with-120grn-and-140grn-Ballistic-Tips.-It-was-devastating-on-yotes-out-to-1000-yards-and-provided-a-Red-Mist-show-on-ground-squirrels-out-to-700-yards.

I-like-what-the-7mm-offers.-It-will-shoot-a-120grn-bullet-out-of-a-30"-barrel-at-around-3700-fps;a-140grn-bullet-at-around-3500-fps-and-a-162grn-bullets-at-around-3300-fps.

I-would-like-know-what-7mm-you-think-I-should-go-with;-either-the-7mm-Rem-Mag-or-the-7mm-WSM.-Let-me-know-what-you-guys-think.

P.S.-I-know!!!;-I-need-a-new-Key-board.-That-is-in-the-works!!!-Please;-bare-with-me.

Jake
Old 03-06-2007, 07:47 PM
Gold Member

Re: Good-News!!!-(New-Rifle-Project)

you need to look at 7 mm stw it is the best 7 mm out there .

Kill more Coyotes

Feed The Buzzards
Old 03-06-2007, 07:53 PM
Platinum Member

Well Wildcat, way to hang in there like a rusty fish hook. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

My theory of life is that you must endure the bad times to get to the good times and you should enjoy the good times when they arrive. I am very happy for you.

Have a good time building your new gun.
Old 03-06-2007, 07:58 PM
Platinum Member

Redbone-I-thought-about-the-7mm-STW-and-the-7mm-RUM;-but-I-am-thinking-that-might-me-a-little-much-or-Maybe-not.-I-will-look-into-it-a-little-more-before-I-make-my-final-decision.-Who-makes-the-brass-for-the-7mm-STW-and-is-it-any-good.
Old 03-06-2007, 08:50 PM
Platinum Member

[ QUOTE ]
My theory of life is that you must endure the bad times to get to the good times and you should enjoy the good times when they arrive. I am very happy for you.

Have a good time building your new gun.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and without the bad times we could not fully appreciate the good times. Would not even know the difference! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Enjoy it!!!

-----------------------------
HEBREWS 13:8
Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and to day, and for ever.

Our Lord Jesus said that as it was in the days of Noah and
also as it was in the days of Lot so it shall be in the days...
It's happening again!!! God sent to us His prophet, and His Word
to this generation and we once more are rejecting it as was prophesied!!!

---> As promised, God Sent His Prophet to us!
Old 03-06-2007, 08:57 PM
Silver Member

Wildcat, I was talked into a 7STW last year and as much as I like the way it shoots, I hate the brass choices. I wanted to build a 7mm-300win mag but I had a weak moment and I have paid for it since. If I had built the 7mm-300wm I could have purchased Lapua or some of the other great brass for the 300wm and i could have used my 300wm RCBS competition dies with a smaller bushing. The 7mm-300wm gives up very little to the 7mmSTW and the brass choice are more plentiful than the 7mm rem mag. If you do get a 7mm STW get the neck reamed .025" shorter. All the brass I have is .025 shorter than any of the STW specs I have ever seen. They are the same overall length as 300 Weatherby not the ideal situation especially when you still have to trim the case to get them to be all the same length.
Old 03-06-2007, 08:59 PM
Gold Member

Good to hear wildcat.7WSM [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]