Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

View Poll Results: Which brand of semi-auto .40 S&W
Sig Sauer P229 5 21.74%
Smith and Wesson SW9XX 3 13.04%
Taurus 24/7-40SSP-15 1 4.35%
other (Please explain) 14 60.87%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Gonna buy a pistol

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-18-2008, 03:56 PM
Silver Member

Gonna buy a pistol

I plan a purchasing a semi-auto pistol soon and am looking for a reasonably priced model. Looking at the Taurus, Smith and Wesson, Sig etc.

Caliber will be .40 S&W

I most likely will go with a polymer frame, 4" minimum barrel, and don't care if it is a stainless or chrome moly slide.

I have never owed a semi auto only revolvers so looking for input.

Used for home defense amd concel/carry when get certified (if I need to carry) and tracking pigs and other animals in the South Texas brush. I'm 6'5" so I have larger than average hands.

Last edited by HRstretch; 05-18-2008 at 04:08 PM.
Old 05-18-2008, 04:04 PM
Platinum Member

Whats it gonna be used for??

I'm a Glock fan , dead nuts reliable and they fit my hand well but I got big hands, the grip angle has become my natural point so its not a prolem. The S&W XD is also a nice pistol seems to be as reliable as the Glock and actualy built a bit better , the grips seem to fit most folks alot more easly and the grip angle is more neutral.
I've shot the Sig 229 and 226 a good bit and never realy liked it , just diden't feel right for me.
I have an H&K and I like it , it has malfunctioned tomany time for me to consider it a carry weapon but it shoots nice.
\the biggest thing is to go to a shop that you can hold the gun and see if it feels right to you
Old 05-18-2008, 04:09 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Jones View Post
Whats it gonna be used for??

I'm a Glock fan , dead nuts reliable and they fit my hand well but I got big hands, the grip angle has become my natural point so its not a prolem. The S&W XD is also a nice pistol seems to be as reliable as the Glock and actualy built a bit better , the grips seem to fit most folks alot more easly and the grip angle is more neutral.
I've shot the Sig 229 and 226 a good bit and never realy liked it , just diden't feel right for me.
I have an H&K and I like it , it has malfunctioned tomany time for me to consider it a carry weapon but it shoots nice.
\the biggest thing is to go to a shop that you can hold the gun and see if it feels right to you
See edited first post. Last sentence. Been holding different pistols at stores. I noticed that when I grip all of these above mentioned pistols if I look down the sites I naturally am pointing to the right. Only on the 1911 type frames did it seem that my grip held the gun in a straight point and shoot direction. (if that made any sense)

Last edited by HRstretch; 05-18-2008 at 04:12 PM.
Old 05-18-2008, 05:16 PM

I was going to buy a S&W XD for my birthday last year but ended up picking up a used S&W 99 (45 cal) & couldn't put it down. Loved the way it fit my hand & the price was right so it went home with me. Smooth trigger pull & suprizingly accurate considering "I" was shooting it.
Old 05-18-2008, 05:36 PM
Platinum Member

A Quality 1911 is not a bad way to go. I like mine

That's 8 shots...
Old 05-18-2008, 06:10 PM
Platinum Member

another vote for the Springfield XD in 45. I would buy the compact model instead of the full size as it is easier for CCW. It takes the full size mags also for reloads.

Now if CCW is your main concern then the Kahr 45 is the absolute cream of the crop. Three sizes and super easy to conceal and if you are used do revolvers, you will love the Kahr trigger pull, just like a super smooth tricked out revolver.

BH
Old 05-18-2008, 06:58 PM
Gold Member

Im another that feels nothing fits my hand and has a natural point of aim like a 1911.For CCW I prefer the 4" bbl.