Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

Gm 6.0?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-05-2013, 01:27 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Gm 6.0?

One of the field svc trucks I used to run was a 1-ton regular cab dually with the 6.0 & 5-speed IIRC. Service bed with a Lincoln 300G tooled up, somewhere in the 14k pound range I think. Way too much weight for that rig but it did it.

They do seem to be pretty dern reliable though, if you can stomach the shoddy mileage. I have to say diesel all the way but, i'm biased.

For what you're looking to do, it should be just fine.

t

Old 12-05-2013, 01:35 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlaw6.0 View Post
One of the field svc trucks I used to run was a 1-ton regular cab dually with the 6.0 & 5-speed IIRC. Service bed with a Lincoln 300G tooled up, somewhere in the 14k pound range I think. Way too much weight for that rig but it did it.

They do seem to be pretty dern reliable though, if you can stomach the shoddy mileage. I have to say diesel all the way but, i'm biased.

For what you're looking to do, it should be just fine.

t

I was looking for a Diesel but this poor white trash cant afford the price tag on one with low enough miles to suit me.

Get a JOB! I already feed the bears, I dont need to feed you too!

" Real elk guns start with the number 3 or bigger and blow two holes, one in and one out." - My Dad
Old 12-05-2013, 01:43 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikkamike View Post
I was looking for a Diesel but this poor white trash cant afford the price tag on one with low enough miles to suit me.

Ya can't take it with ya.

t

Old 12-05-2013, 01:47 PM
Platinum Member

Late 07 then, it should have the 2nd gen 6.0. My pops has an 08 that I think he said he gets 18 on the hiway and 15 running to and around town. I know he's never wanted for more power, I was looking at a Duramax till I used his truck hauling horses a while back. I decided the extra cost and maintenance was more than I'd care for given the performance of the 6.0. wouldn't want a truck payment to get in the way of new gun.
Keep in mind the animals we shoot for food and display are not bullet proof. Contrary to popular belief, they bleed and die just like they did a hundred years ago. Being competent with a given rifle is far more important than impressive ballistics and poor shootability. High velocity misses never put a steak in the freezer.

Joe
Old 12-05-2013, 01:59 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikkamike View Post
its a 2007 with the 6 speed tranny
The 6.0 will get you about 18mpg on the highway at 70mph with the air turned on. My brother inlaw had one for several years and saw about 15mpg towing a trailer. Yet a lot of gas mileage is how the end user drives. Your in the hill country and the mileage drops, but your in the flat lands and the mileage increases. My next door neighbor had a Yukon with that engine and claimed twenty on the highway!

I had a 6400lb. half ton with the 5.3 engine, and it got about 19.5 on the highway. Had I added a camper shell like my brother inlaw, it would pick up another two mpg.
gary
Old 12-05-2013, 02:03 PM
Platinum Member

forgot to tell you to use Texaco or BP gas in it!!! The computers are programed for these fuels and you'll often see 2 to 3 mpg increase in fuel mileage. My truck really noticed this. Fords and Dodges are similar as well. Cheap gas screws with all the sensors, and when they go bad the fuel injection system runs wide open
gary
Old 12-05-2013, 03:13 PM
Silver Member

If your not towing stick to a 1/2 ton and a 5.3 and dont look back.