Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

Glass Bedding a Ruger

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-01-2006, 01:58 PM
Bronze Member

Glass Bedding a Ruger

I have glass bedded several Remingtons of my own with good success and now have two Ruger 77 MII's that I think that could be improved by bedding them. Is there any secrets or advise that anyone could pass on before I start on these two rifles. They look a little more complicated than the Remingtons and I want to do it correctly. Thanks

Panhandlepr
Old 12-01-2006, 05:55 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Glass Bedding a Ruger

Their is no real secrets , just use plenty of release agent on everything that within inches of where you want the bedding, With the angled front screw its next to impossible to use the long bedding screws and surgical tubing method so use planty of release on your action screws and bottom metal!!
I personaly like to bed the front and rear at differant times , its a little easier to deal with them one at a time. I personaly like to remove a bit of material so the bedding it kinda thick.
once the bedding is all dry drill out the screw holes with a bigger bit than your screws so the screw doesen't touch the stock or bedding when it tight , I think I use a 5/16 or 21/64.
one problem some guys have with the Rugers is that they have flat paralel sides and its sometimes a bit of a pain to get it free from the bedding , I like to put a piece of thick electrical tape on each side in the front so after the bedding done its easier to remove later , and theirs still no chance of any side to side movement because of the lug on the bottom.
Old 12-02-2006, 03:19 PM
Bronze Member

Thanks for your reply. You've got some of those little tricks that I was looking for.

Panhandlepr
Old 12-02-2006, 07:29 PM
Platinum Member

I posted a thread in the equipment reviews sections here about doing a piller bedding job on the Ruger 77mkII it should be on the first or second page.
its about the precut pillars from Brownells , they worked very well.