Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

glass bedding issues.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-09-2005, 09:51 AM
Silver Member

Re: glass bedding issues.

today I ordered the brownells pillar bedding kit #1 and dad is also sending me the rest of his acraglass kit with the video. I might have to bed the 17hmr just for practice.
"I am a stone. I do not move. Very slowly, I put snow in my mouth and he won't see my breath. I take my time. . . I have only one bullet. I aim at his eye. Very gently, my finger presses on the trigger. I do not tremble. I have no fear"
Old 06-09-2005, 05:24 PM
Gold Member

If it has been skimmed once you will need to hog abit more out- like Ian (one gun my foot!!!!) said a couple of minutes with a Dremel and remove all the old stuff and your good to go.
USed Devcon- good stuff but kinda brittle, Pro Bed 2000 is good also, but stays gummy for a day or two, personally I use Marine Tex.
Old 06-10-2005, 12:00 AM
daveosok

Yeah if you do not condition the surface correctly it can lead to brittleness. I usually use it where it is really built and havent had any problems with it cracking or being brittle but I can see if someone just lumped some in and stuck an action in, course just about any bedding compund would fail with improper surface prep.
Old 06-11-2005, 08:59 AM
Silver Member

I took the stock into the shop and milled out the old bedding plus .150" out of the remington synthetic stock. What other prep work can I do while I wait for the kit to come in? What will need to be done just before I put in the bedding to insure a good bond so it doesn't crack again?
"I am a stone. I do not move. Very slowly, I put snow in my mouth and he won't see my breath. I take my time. . . I have only one bullet. I aim at his eye. Very gently, my finger presses on the trigger. I do not tremble. I have no fear"
Old 06-11-2005, 03:58 PM
Silver Member

discovered reason for glass bedding issues.

went and talked to three gunsmiths about the bedding coming loose today. Two of them told me that it is because of the remington stock. They said it is actually plastic and petrolium based. being petrolium based it acts like a release agent and will allow the bedding to seperate from the stock over time. the third guy didn't know what would cause it. I guess that means it is time to order a stock that is a true composit or wood so the bedding will stay. I want to keep this rifle for the play days.
Old 06-11-2005, 08:21 PM
Gold Member

Re: discovered reason for glass bedding issues.

They are right if it is an ADL stock and not a fiberglass of some sort the bedding will not stick.