Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

Gang hunting. Is it fair to the animals?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-14-2007, 11:54 AM
Platinum Member

DirtySteve,

That's what I'm talkin' about:mad:

A buddy and I were just above the tree line, right even with the tree tops. We were in plain sight. If they had duplex reticles we would have been within the thin part of the reticle. I know because they were in the thin part of mine! On the next ridge was a posse of horse hunters shooting at elk that were moving through the trees just below us.

I took sheltering action and did some practice on rock busting over in their neighborhood. That was 30 years ago and I have since mellowed a bit but not a whole helluva lot.;)
Old 09-14-2007, 12:00 PM
Gold Member

Roy mellow? hmm thats interesting! Ive never met Roy but I dont see mellow fitting his description....at all!
Old 09-14-2007, 04:46 PM
Bronze Member

If you see this gang-hunting stuff in Montana, you might want to call FWP.

Quote:
Two-way Communication: Two-way communication may not be used to:
• Hunt game animals or upland game birds, migratory birds or furbearers as defined in MCA 87-2-101 (8) (“Hunt” means to “pursue, shoot, wound, kill, chase, lure, possess or capture.”), or
• Avoid game checking stations, FWP enforcement personnel, or to facilitate illegal activity.

The rule does not prohibit the possession or use of two-way communication for safety or other legitimate purposes.
Old 09-15-2007, 12:50 AM
Silver Member

Guys this is what the local big shot guide is doing that makes ol' GG crazy. He gets most of the big money Govenors tag (Auction ) guys to hunt with him because they'll be on a DVD. They pay well over 100,000 k at auction and another 20,000 to be guided. In return the guide who has the gang GG is talking about, scout the animals year around to keep track of the giant Bucks and Bulls, getting tape of dozens of good canidates. When the hunt is on which in alot of these auction hunts it starts in Sept. and go to the end of the year, they send an E- Mail to the client in whatever state he is living in and let him decide what buck or bull they would like to shoot. Now that they know which Buck is wanted by the client, the guides little groupies find the Buck and sit with him constantly until the client can fly in and be brought to the right spot. The groupies are spread out on all sides with the walky-talkies giving directions to get in position for the shot. ( If the hunt is a limited entry hunt and they run into competition with a regular hunter who worked hard on his own to find the Buck in question, the big shots have been known to run the little guy off, with money or otherwise )
At that point they try to make this look like a real hunt, through editing, on his latest DVD. The groupies don't get anything but their picture in a video.The huge Bucks and bulls that stayed alive through all those months of the regular hunts get rewarded by being killed in Dec. on the winter range !!!

On the limited entry units the Auction guys can hunt with a rifle during the archery--muzzle loader and the rifle portion. One friend crawled within 80 yards of a 230" non typical after 2 1/2 hr stalk on the Henry mountain unit only to watch the Auction tag holder/ rich dude shoot the buck out from under him !!!

Just doesn't sit well with a lot of ( regular hunters ) I don't think GG has anything against Two way radios for normal hunting uses.

The DWR says it needs the near one million dollars the Auction hunts bring in to run the wildlife programs, but those new Deisel pickups sure do look nice!!!

----- RHB---
Old 09-17-2007, 08:22 PM
Platinum Member

Very well said 7mmrhb. You know the guys doing this.

And you're right, I have nothing against walkie talkies being used in normal hunting situations. It is when they are used by a hoard of "guides" to babysit a buck and herd a hunter into it that I have a major problem with them.
Pull it
Dump it

If it's not far, it's boring.
Old 09-17-2007, 08:41 PM
Silver Member

While it's not a way i would like to hunt, as far as fairness goes you have to remember we're shooting things sometimes 1/2 a mile away or more and chances are, with most of us, if we can see it, we can kill it. Not exactly fair since were using weapon that have taken 100's of years to perfect. If you wanted to be 'fair' to the animals you should be hunting with a knife or spear IMHO.

They just do whatever they can to ensure their client has a successful hunt, most people who pay for a guided hunt don't know anything about hunting and typically call going out into the bush for 2 nights with 2 car loads of stuff "camping rough style" and just want to kill something to brag to their mates about, if they went home empty handed they probably wouldn't come back. But i'll say it again for the record, that is NOT a way i'd like to hunt ;) .
Old 09-17-2007, 09:40 PM
Silver Member

I think I'm glad my ignorance is bliss on this subject living in California and not having to see this first hand where I hunt or I'd probably feel as strongly as you.