Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

Game population cycles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2005, 06:46 PM
Platinum Member

Game population cycles

Over the years I've had the good fortune to hunt various big game animals at their population peak. Elk, antelope , mule deer,bear you name it . I was just wondering how the populations in the various states of the members here are doing compared to long term highs and lows.This info could be helpful to all of us that are planning an out of state hunt. just make a post and tell all [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] jimm
Old 02-12-2005, 11:18 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Game population cycles

I deer hunt like the sun, all day,everyday,all season.I hunt west TN,west NY and mid Mi,and this is to my knowledge.There are spots where deer starve others where you can't find a track.Then with all the extra people out there,(muz,bow,pistol,doomaflotchie;CITYITSthe deer are getting smarter, alott smarter.Ny NO biggins killed ALL year,saw very few dear,very few on hwy.Mi NO biggins killed all year,PLENTY road kill,LOTS of does.Tn NO biggins killed few on road,Deer in clumps.ALL dear skiddish quick in season.Didn't hear of many decient bucks killed or seen anywhere above.Saw 1 shooter at 800 with a muz(both of us in the open field).So it was a bad year for me,didn't even see the tirtypointer!!! So that tells me this year i might get a shot at him.They (deer) are movin into places that people arn't going and with the sissy weather at deer season it makes it harder.So the first bad winter will kill the HELL out of them!Also found LOTS of desieses around KILLIN them.They have got Real patchy around all were i've been.
Old 02-13-2005, 09:06 AM
Platinum Member

I can tell you that elk are abundant here. Due to the nice weather of the last 4-5 seasons I do not think that hunters tagged out like they use to.
Old 02-13-2005, 09:51 AM

I don't know how it is in AR or if you consider white tails big game, but there is rumor of baiting being allowed in central MO this next season. We are covered up with mature does and a few real nice bucks were shot this last year in the Lake O area. This last week I saw 3 180 class or better Mulies in the Texas panhandle.
Old 02-13-2005, 09:00 PM
Bronze Member

Ishould have stated i'm well informed at all thre spots.Also,the average for Ny is between 150-180 bucks opening day,this year was 12 and i hope KIDS shot them.
Old 02-14-2005, 06:00 PM
Platinum Member

Pop, Thanks for the elk info. What about the antelope pop? I always liked to hunt the pumpkin buttes herd. thanks, jimm
Old 02-14-2005, 06:04 PM
Platinum Member

I do consider whitetails big game! We have able to bait them here in ar. as long as I can remember. The reasoning here is that white tails are to unpredictable to bait with any adverse effect to the population. My experience bears this out to some degree.