Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

Free floating a barrel?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-14-2005, 09:58 AM
Bronze Member

Free floating a barrel?

I need a little guidance on free floating the barrel on my Rem 700 SS w/synthetic stock. After being disappointed with my groups in my 300 RUM, I decided to free float the barrel. The factory stock had pressure points close to the end of the forearm that I have sanded out. Problem is that there is still contact with the barrel and forearm (can't get a dollar bill to slide through). I don't want to gouge out the stock anymore if I can help it. Any suggestions on raising the action slightly?
Old 07-14-2005, 01:08 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Free floating a barrel?

Tom
Bedding the action should raise it up a touch provided you don't remove to much material doing the prep work and don't torque the action screws all the way tight when you do the bedding. You still may not be completely free floated on the sides(between barrel and forearm) though,depending on how much room you have to start with.
Chris
Old 07-14-2005, 03:05 PM
Silver Member

A piece of poster board under the recoil lug will raise the action then bed the receiver. you may need to use more then one piece but once it is bedded it will be solid.

I have also removed extra wood from the barrel channel using sandpaper around a dowel and then putting a layer or two of duct tape length wise down the barrel and bedding the whole thing receiver and barrel, then when its dry I remove the tape and I have a nice looking barrel channel and a free floated barrel.

You should use pillars on the action screws really makes a difference
Old 07-14-2005, 05:29 PM
Bronze Member

Can I self install the pillars?
Old 07-14-2005, 06:17 PM
Platinum Member

Tom,
When the action is being bedded you simply wrap masking tape around the barrel at two points a foot or so apart. Make the wraps identical and thick enough to provide the gap that you wish. Then when you bed the action and set the barreled action back into the stock the barrel gap will be controled by the two wraps of masking tape.
Old 07-14-2005, 09:41 PM
Silver Member

Yes, you can make your own or buy a set from Brownell's. The nice thing about doing the barrel channel is it looks clean and professional. I also like to clear out a 2 inch long by 1/2 wide area where the front sling goes and install a piece of 1/4 thick steel after I bed the action and barrel channel I drill it out and tap it for the sling stud then I have a sturdy mount for my bi-pod.
Old 07-15-2005, 03:05 AM
Platinum Member

Even better than duct tape is 2" wide plumber's pipe tape (available at Home Depot). In .020 or .030 thickness you can get the amount of freefloat you want in just a couple long strips. It forms nicely to the barrel and leaves a nice smooth bedding result.

That assumes your action is located properly/barrel channel is large enough. I've also done Ian's "locate the action with tape on the barrel" and it works well. I'm not good enough to do everything in one step....