Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

Fouled bore ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-18-2013, 08:06 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Fouled bore ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varmint Hunter View Post
Tom H - thanks for the info. I may just give them a call.

Unbelievably, I am still cleaning this barrel. Using several wet Eliminator patches, letting it sit and then following up with more patches or the nylon brush. Blue patches are still coming out.

This morning I used several patches of JB bore paste which was short stroked through the bore. Some improvement was noted but the follow-up Eliminator patches are still light blue and the bore seems rough, better but not smooth.

This is the only custom barrel that I've had a problem with. I have several other Broughton 5c barrels and they all shoot great and clean up easily.

Do you have access to a bore scope ? If you do you can have a look and be sure of what you are dealing with.

J E CUSTOM
Old 05-19-2013, 10:13 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J E Custom View Post
Do you have access to a bore scope ? If you do you can have a look and be sure of what you are dealing with.

J E CUSTOM
This would be my recommendation. When you do get all the fouling out, get it scoped by a smith who knows what he's looking for before you call Broughton.

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Old 05-19-2013, 02:32 PM
Platinum Member

I'll probably get the bore scoped as soon a s possible. Oddly enough, I'm still getting blue patches. I'm alternating between Eliminator soaks and occasional nylon bore brushing. Tried a little more JB but still get blue patches. Almost like I was introducing copper.

My nylon brush appears to have a brass core but that doesn't touch anything and I haven't used it that much. I would have blamed this on the jag but I'm using a nickle jag.

Hmmmm
Old 05-19-2013, 05:23 PM
Platinum Member

My routine with Bore Tech is I liberally wet patch with Eliminator until the patches start getting light blue. Then I push a nylon brush all the way through and bring it back just inside the muzzle, then stand the rifle up on it's butt and drop a libral amount down the bore, then scrub for a few strokes, maybe 5 or so, then let it soak for 20-40 min, then wet patch out and repeat the cycle until I see no more blue. When I stop seeing signs of carbon, I swith over to CU+2 to finish the process.

Your bass core brush might be introducing a false read. You might want to go out and get a non-brass core brush and see what happens. Does your rod have a brass tip?

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams