Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

Flying w/ammo

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-14-2005, 02:03 PM
SPONSOR

Flying w/ammo

What's the scoop on taking ammo on a commercial airline. I've heard it has to be in a factory box. Is this true. If it is true how do you take your handloads w/you? I don't know if it matters but the flight is to Canada for a moose hunt.

Thanks,
B.J.
Old 04-14-2005, 02:22 PM
Silver Member

Re: Flying w/ammo

Bill,
What we did when we flew to Nebraska bird hunting was took AA boxes and put our handloaded AAs into them. But they told us that the shells did have to be in factory boxes. They did not open the boxes to check the headstamps or actual shells. We traveled with the shells in our suit cases that were checked, and did not put them in the bottom of the gun case. If you have a factory box of the same head stamp, I feel confident that you would be able to carry them. Even if you do not, I do not think they will check to see if they are headstamped by the same company of the box. I have flown little with guns, so maybe someone with a little more experience may be able to answer your question better. The airport seemed more concerned with the actual guns themself than the ammo being specific to the manufacture's box. Good luck on the trip.

Christopher
Old 04-14-2005, 07:42 PM
Gold Member

Would it simplify things to UPS it to the outfitter?
Old 04-14-2005, 09:36 PM
Silver Member

[ QUOTE ]
Would it simplify things to UPS it to the outfitter?

[/ QUOTE ] What I have done is used a govt issued ammo can to ship my ammo in, the airlines will put there sticker on it. Of course that will not stop them from loosing the ammo can. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 04-15-2005, 02:55 PM
Platinum Member

All my ammo is handloaded and packed in the usual 50round MTM (or similar) boxes. Are you guys saying that there are regulations which prohibit me from just stuffing the boxes in my luggage which goes below?
Old 04-15-2005, 04:06 PM
Silver Member

[ QUOTE ]
All my ammo is handloaded and packed in the usual 50round MTM (or similar) boxes. Are you guys saying that there are regulations which prohibit me from just stuffing the boxes in my luggage which goes below?

[/ QUOTE ] What I will say is that the airlines will tell you the ammo must be in the original manufactures boxes (want to open that can of worms) The only reason in this world I tell friends not to bring there wildcat rifles, when they come here to hunt with me, is the lousy airlines love of loosing ammo and luggage. Your rifles will be mostly safe from loss. Not the rest of your gear. This is the only way to make a hunt if you fly out of Anchorage fly with a standard ctg chambered rifle. So that you can find ammo in the hub towns or villages without hassle. You don't have much time when you are changing planes to get whatever you need cause the airlines have screwed the pooch again! YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED TO CARRY AMMO IN THE GUN CASE!
Old 04-15-2005, 04:23 PM
SPONSOR

After talking to the airline we determined that the ammo only has to be in a shock resistant ammo container. This can be an MTM box or whatever as long as it is designed to hold ammo. Of course if I call tomorrow and talk to someone different I'm liable to get a different answer.
Thanks for the help guys!!

B.J.