Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

Flying with rifles????

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-17-2012, 09:02 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Flying with rifles????

Do not put TSA locks on your gun cases. You don't know what baggage monkey has a TSA key.

They are not allowed to open your declared baggage containing firearms without your presence unless they are unable to contact you. They will only cut the lock if it alarms and is not tagged as containing a firearm.

I would recommend placing an extra set of unlocked locks in your firearm baggage with a note to replace cut locks.
Old 09-17-2012, 09:09 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebark View Post
Thanks for the clarification. My guns were inspected from the point of departure and not on arrival.

As for whether you can transport ammo with the rifle or not, TSA regs state:

"Small arms ammunition, including ammunition not exceeding .75 caliber for a rifle or pistol and shotgun shells of any gauge, may be carried in the same hard-sided case as the firearm, as long as it follows the packing guidelines described above."

That said, I've never traveled to Canada where regulations may be different.

Sorry if this seems argumentative. Not my intent at all.
No problem, I didn't take it as argumentative. Thanks.

"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready"-T. Roosevelt
Old 09-21-2012, 10:02 AM

Well so far this is what I have come up with. Locked gun in the case taken to counter and opened up for inspection, locked up again with TSA sticker on it. Amo (less than 11lbs) carried in other checked bag with TSA lable. Range finder and binoculars in my carry on bag. I have my documents for canada in 3 copies not signed untill in canada, and lastly I went yesterday to Pittsburgh air port US Customs office and had them inspect the gun and serial number and now I have their stamped paperwork to trannsport gun in and out of our country. I think I have all my bases covered.

Thanks again