Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

Fluted barrels?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-17-2005, 04:51 AM
Silver Member

Fluted barrels?

Just a question, do fluted barrels cool down quicker than normal barrels?
I have a heavy barrel SAKO and am thinking of getting it fluted will there be any advantages or disadvantages?

TIA

skip [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 05-17-2005, 07:39 AM
Gold Member

Re: Fluted barrels?

Hi Skip
In theory yes, in practice no.
Some people will argue with me but in my eyes the only practical application of fluting is to reduce weight and allow the use of a thicker contour barrel.

I would not recommend fluting your heavy barrelled Sako,
the problems that could arise from fluting a hammer forged barrel could far outway the benifits of saving a few ounces in weight. Stresses built up during hammer forging will all be released during fluting and destroy the integrity of your barrel.
Being a Sako its most likely a tack driver, would you want to loose that accuracy? I think not.
I dont know how they do it at the factory but makers of cut rifled barrels, cut the flutes before rifling in order to keep the bore straight.
Maybe someone out there who is more knowledgeable could tell you if there is a way of doing it to hammer forged barrels without ruining the integrity of the barrel.

Ian.
Old 05-17-2005, 07:42 AM
Bronze Member

Re: Fluted barrels?

I would refer you to an article at www.savageshooters.com, go to articles and under technical there is an in depth article on barrel fluting.