Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

Fixing a laminate stock

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-14-2005, 01:27 PM
Silver Member

Fixing a laminate stock

Hey guys, I am not sure if this post belong here or not, but here it goes.

I was at the local range the other day and as luck would have it, my rifle kinda fell off of the shooting bench. There are some scrapes and scratches in the side of the stock. It is a Boyds thumbhole grey laminate stock. You can see most of the scratches and a few are deep enough that you can feel them with your fingers. I am wondering how do I go about fixing these? Sanding the areas with 400 grit wet/dry paper then using Tru-Oil? The stock has a matte finish to it so I don't want it glossy.

Also, there are a few marks on the scope. Will normal gun blue be able to fix these also? Or will I need something else? It is a matte finish.

The gun never fell right down, I caught it befor it hit the ground. The marks on the scope are on the front objective bell, and the power ring and turret caps. They are not too bad, just enough to take the finish off and raise a few burrs. Will this affect the performance of the scope in any way? Would it be internally damaged? It is a Nikon Buckmaster 6-18x40. Thanks for any help guys.
Old 06-14-2005, 02:40 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Fixing a laminate stock

RE: the stock.

First I'd try heating up the wife's iron. Go to cotton.

Get one of her "clean" "nice" t-towels (this is a valuable rifle stock we're talking about) plus half the fun is the "sneak".

Wet the cloth towel and steam out what you can with the iron. Works pretty well on non-laminated stocks and hardwood floors....

If you need sanding it should be minimal. Don't know about the finish. I use linseed oil and varnish (way more linseed than varnish in the mix) on stocks that I have finished. FWIW

As for the scope. I figure those are "tale marks" like when the bear just about gotcha. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

I lucked out w/mine and it lasted for years and years.
Old 06-14-2005, 02:52 PM
Silver Member

Re: Fixing a laminate stock

Ok, thanks. I was thinking about doing that, but won't it runin the finish in the other areas?