Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

First time long range shooting. let me know

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-22-2009, 11:49 AM
Gold Member

Re: First time long range shooting. let me know

I'm assuming by your comment on the cost of ammo that you don't reload. I suggest that you start saving for a reloader. RCBS's Rockchucker makes a greater starter kit. It has everything you need to get going. Not only will it reduce your cost to shoot - it will also allow you to find the best load for your rifle - its easy to do and it is a heck of a lot of fun. Any questions on reloading just start a thread - there are a lot of guys with a lot of info on this site to help you.
Old 11-22-2009, 02:41 PM

Yes, thanks, was going to this year but will be moving to new house and didn't need one more thing to tackle at the moment. looked into rcbs and its the way I will go. Hopefully after the season is over I will get into it. I still have a box of the $2.75 ea. bullets left. That's 20 deer before I need to reload.
Old 11-22-2009, 05:17 PM
Gold Member

Theres lots you can do. Practice is key but have you done much work on your gun or load developement. Most guns will do better when accurized. Many of the sponsor gunsmiths on this site offer accurizing packages. Check out Kevin Crams website (Monour County Rifles), he offers some good packages that you can atleast compare for your area. Make sure your load developement is the best it can be. The tighter your groups are, naturally the better it will shoot. Chronograph your loads and do a search on standard deviation (SD). Many other things that other members can chime in on but this can get you started.
Old 11-22-2009, 10:30 PM

looks like you're doing great! you're results should encourage you alot more than my first longer range shots. Wish I could have started doing that well. Good job and good luck in the future.
Old 11-23-2009, 12:20 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DUKESTER1 View Post
. I still have a box of the $2.75 ea. bullets left. That's 20 deer before I need to reload.
Now there's a good attitude!!!