Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

first O.T. check spent

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-13-2005, 12:49 AM
Silver Member

first O.T. check spent

Today I went and spent my first overtime check for this summer [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Ordered in a Remington 700 CDL (BDL without the iron sights) 300 RUM. 26" barrell and picked up weaver style leupold mounts and rings. Putting a Burris Full Field II on it until the middle of next month and then I will buy something that has dust caps over target turrets for the long range fun. I also picked up a 50 rnd bag of rem. brass that had 2 extra in it that will be used for dummy rounds. I plan on using 180 gr BTSP bullets in it and am going to ladder test some speer bullets starting at middle published load the first day the weather will cooperate with me. I will be testing bonded type bullets for this round and plan to shoot everything from paper to metal gongs in the target area and prairie dogs to elk in the animal area. Who knows, I might even get a wild hair and go after a bear in the future [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I plan to see how she shoots without bedding the stock, but am sure I will end up pillar bedding it after the first box of factory ammo goes through on Thursday or Friday. The hard extra work has gotten me in deep for the fun work this summer [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
"I am a stone. I do not move. Very slowly, I put snow in my mouth and he won't see my breath. I take my time. . . I have only one bullet. I aim at his eye. Very gently, my finger presses on the trigger. I do not tremble. I have no fear"
Old 06-13-2005, 07:32 AM
Platinum Member

Re: first O.T. check spent

Squatch,
Dust caps are not important, consider a tactical style and quality scope and you will be happier with the better turrets and increased adjustment lattitude.

Congratulations on your new toy.
ian
Old 06-13-2005, 10:11 AM
Silver Member

I am considering the dust caps for when I put the scope in a scabbard. If I have to pull off a quick shot right when the gun is pulled, I don't want to worry about the knobs having moved from the friction of the leather.
"I am a stone. I do not move. Very slowly, I put snow in my mouth and he won't see my breath. I take my time. . . I have only one bullet. I aim at his eye. Very gently, my finger presses on the trigger. I do not tremble. I have no fear"
Old 06-13-2005, 11:50 AM
Gold Member

New toys!! Oh boy somebody is going to be busy now!
Have fun with it and keep us posted.
Old 06-13-2005, 02:42 PM
Platinum Member

Squatch,
They will not move, only one way to find that out tho. I would totally trust my scopes and I have used scabbords, lots of rain, rubbing on car seats, whatever.
Old 06-13-2005, 09:16 PM
Silver Member

enjoy the rifle [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 06-14-2005, 08:14 AM
Silver Member

that's something I'll definately have to consider Ian. Do you know of anyone that makes a lower profile target turret? That would be nice to have byt not necissary.