Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

First long range riffle build need help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2012, 01:11 PM
Silver Member

First long range riffle build need help

I was given a new Rem 700 300 win mag . I was going to have the barrel redone a good bull barrel with a brake installed was almost thinking of going with the 338 edge. or should I just stay with the 300 win for my first try just need some input to help make up my mind . thanx
Old 01-11-2012, 01:45 PM
Silver Member

Re: First long range riffle build need help

ok so far this is what I have for the build .. rem 700 in 300 win (new) a Sightron SIII SS 6-24x50LR d . will be ordering a 3 or 4 port Muscle brake
Old 01-17-2012, 11:11 AM
Silver Member

Shoot it first. You may like it. I would venture to say it will shoot as good as you are capable.
Old 01-17-2012, 08:20 PM
Silver Member

well it looks like the riffle is going to a smith in Wyoming for a abs carbon barrel chambered,crowned,and muzzle break for a 338 edge with a Manner's MCS-TA ( Terry Cross adjustable cheek fixed butt ) with Accuracy International Detachable Magazine system. price was good so get the ok from the wife and off to Wyoming to the smith it goes . should be nice for my first riffle not bought off the self .
Old 01-18-2012, 10:12 AM
Platinum Member

Just out of curiousity, what smith are you using out here? I was going to recommend you stick with the 300, but it looks like you are set on the Edge, if you are using the AI mag system I think you will be slightly disappointed, the magazine doesn't allow much of an OAL. I'm running the same setup in 338RUM & I'm not real sure I can even load the 300 bergers due to the increased length of the ogive area. McRees is offering a newer system that allows for a longer OAL but it requires modifying the stock & the action IIRC...

The 300 win mag will EASILY reach to 1000yds, will feed from the AI mags MUCH easier (less fiddling) & be easier on your shoulder.

With the increased length of the 338Edge I am really suggesting you do some OAL homework before going that route, you will be cramming the bullet SO FAR into the case you will lose any capacity edge you intend to gain over the Lapua or the RUM (which is minimal at very best).
Old 01-18-2012, 02:08 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlaw6.0 View Post
Just out of curiousity, what smith are you using out here? I was going to recommend you stick with the 300, but it looks like you are set on the Edge, if you are using the AI mag system I think you will be slightly disappointed, the magazine doesn't allow much of an OAL. I'm running the same setup in 338RUM & I'm not real sure I can even load the 300 bergers due to the increased length of the ogive area. McRees is offering a newer system that allows for a longer OAL but it requires modifying the stock & the action IIRC...

The 300 win mag will EASILY reach to 1000yds, will feed from the AI mags MUCH easier (less fiddling) & be easier on your shoulder.

With the increased length of the 338Edge I am really suggesting you do some OAL homework before going that route, you will be cramming the bullet SO FAR into the case you will lose any capacity edge you intend to gain over the Lapua or the RUM (which is minimal at very best).
The smith is Ryan Kelsey and I have been thinking about the OAL and mag set up . I found the stock for 400 bucks the guy needed the money so good for me . I'm really hopping to go out to 1400y not stopping at 1000y this is not going to be what I shoot a animal at just steal
Old 01-18-2012, 03:22 PM
Platinum Member

I can't say I know that gent... Hey that's a pretty smoking deal on the stock. Keep us in the loop on that build.