Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

first hand exp. with the 270 win

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2007, 09:28 PM

first hand exp. with the 270 win

hello,
I am looking for some unbiased opinions of the 270 win. I am currently shooting 150 gr nosler partitions on top of 57 grains of IMR 7828. The question I have is do you think this combination is suitable to take a large bull moose at 400 yards. I opted not to take this shot last season and it has been plagueing me ever since.
Old 03-20-2007, 09:40 PM
Platinum Member

Re: first hand exp. with the 270 win

Since my dad had shot one alot when he was younger he has told me his expereirences. This is not biased nor is this first hand expirence. My dad said that it did great for up to 300yrds then it just lacked the power. The only problem is that he was shooting something like a 100gr.speer soft point. He shot a deer and an elk at close to that 400yrd. range and both were standing and feeding when he got to the animal. He then used a finishing shot. both he said penetrated about 3-4inches. with a heavier gr. bullet im sure it would do better but how good i dont know.
Old 03-21-2007, 08:08 AM
Platinum Member

[ QUOTE ]
hello,
I am looking for some unbiased opinions of the 270 win. I am currently shooting 150 gr nosler partitions on top of 57 grains of IMR 7828.

[/ QUOTE ]

Any one who is a dedicated 270 Win shooter will never say anything 'unbiased'. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

I shot a young bull moose w/130gr sierra (MV 3190 FPS). I did the heart shot @ about 70 yards. Complete penetration, through the heart. The effect was about like shooting a house. Nothing happened. A little later I shot through both shoulders. Again complete penetration and it slammed him to the ground.

I have no idea of the MV of your load. But from what I've seen from 7mm Rem Mags w/ 160s @ 2700-2800 FPS MV, I would have taken the shot. In your situation, as it was at the time, I would have been concerned about hitting bone but that's after hanging around this board for a couple of years. Before that I wouldn't have worried about it.

The next time you get in that same situation, shoot da moose. I'd put one in the boiler room w/a 140gr bullet out to say 500 yds and feel confident that the combination would do the job.
Old 03-27-2007, 12:21 AM
Platinum Member

I would not hesitate to shoot moose or big bull elk out to 600-700 yards with a 150g bullet out of a .270. I think it would have more then enough power to get the job done and since you would be using a partition, a good bullet would just be insurance. Put the bullet in the chest and you'll have your bull either way. The 270 I think is a very under rated round. A friend of mines uncle shot a couple spike elk at around 700-800 yards with a 150g bullet out of his 270. 400 yards is just getting started!!!
Old 03-27-2007, 02:23 PM
Platinum Member

I debated replying. Like Roy said, I am not unbiased. Nor do I have first hand experience with moose at 400. Moose is a "once in a lifetime" permit in Utah. You may only choose one "once in a lifetime" permit to apply for at a time. Moose is second on my list, after a bighorn.

First, I think you should be commended for passing a shot you weren't sure of. Personally, I would have had no doubts taking that shot, or one much further.

As for personal experience, I have taken a fair amount of game with handguns, and my bow. I think much of the debate over wether a caliber is big enough for a given animal at a given range is just another excuse to talk hunting and shooting. Certainly shouldn't get in the way in the field.

So, while I commend you for passing a shot you weren't sure of, I think you made a mistake.
Old 03-28-2007, 08:55 AM

I appreciate everyones input. Grit I think you raise an excellent point. If all goes well next time I'll squeese the trigger and let the bullet do the job.

Thanks,
aaron