Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

Fires and Evacuations in Central/South Idaho

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-16-2013, 04:53 PM
Platinum Member

Fires and Evacuations in Central/South Idaho

Wow, this is getting bad. Major fires in the area here and they have just issued pre evacuation orders for the city of Ketchum and mandatory evacs for a lot of the drainages off of highway 75 north of Hailey. I've offered to house animals/horses here on the ranch which is south of the area but not by much. If you all know of anyone in the Hailey/Ketchum/Sun Valley area who needs to house animals or a place to stay, let me know and we'll put em somewhere. Here's a couple of photos to the north of us.

Randy
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
Fires and Evacuations in Central/South Idaho-fire-003.jpg   Fires and Evacuations in Central/South Idaho-fire-004.jpg  

Fires and Evacuations in Central/South Idaho-fire-005.jpg   Fires and Evacuations in Central/South Idaho-fire-001.jpg  

"I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than be in any city on earth." ---Steve McQueen
Old 08-16-2013, 06:30 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Fires and Evacuations in Central/South Idaho

Each year seems to be getting progressively worse!

I feel for those impacted. Kind of frightening!

I suppose that the fires will impact game in a major way.

I'm thinkin' it may make woofs a bit easier to hunt.

Keep'r wet.
Old 08-16-2013, 07:39 PM
Platinum Member

Sheriff just issued pre evac orders for all of west Hailey.
You should see these plumes---unbelievable. I would guess they are going up to 20,000 feet +

Randy

"I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than be in any city on earth." ---Steve McQueen
Old 08-16-2013, 07:43 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by royinidaho View Post

Keep'r wet.
Roy, fish and game came out today and said that anyone who had tags in the affected areas can exchange them for other areas---I'll send them your way...

And you bet I'm keeping er wet---got all the irrigation I can on about 200 acres.

Randy

Old 08-16-2013, 10:09 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by royinidaho

Keep'r wet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnwrunner View Post
Roy, fish and game came out today and said that anyone who had tags in the affected areas can exchange them for other areas---I'll send them your way...

And you bet I'm keeping er wet---got all the irrigation I can on about 200 acres.

Randy
Went through a big fire deal (Poe Cabin Fire) here on the north end of Hells Canyon five-six years ago. Two "Hot Shot" teams with all their resources stopped the fire from breaking over the ridge right above the ranch. Would have kissed each one if I could have lined them up. Did personally thank the fella in charge of the fire on this end and the leader of the Hot Shot crew that did the backfiring. Two very talented men.

The point I want to make is the deer and elk were right back in the burn as soon as it cooled off. One neat thing about hunting burns and I have done that a lot in the Coast Range of Central Ca. when I was young is the horns when rubbed out on burnt brush in the following seasons are very dark with ivory tips.

Anyway it gets pretty stressful getting all the stock to a safe zone. Makes one wish the root cellar had been built larger. Hope everyone around Ketchum and Sun Valley stays safe.

There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man. Sir Winston Churchill.

Everything that is really great and inspiring is created by the individual who can labor in freedom. Einstein
Old 08-18-2013, 04:42 PM
Gold Member

I can smell burnt pine here in Michigan, my neighbor told me to get up earley in the morning this is the first thing I could smell. I am so sad for the people affected buy this.
Mother nature is being a real BITCH this year.
We have had some fires here in the UP of Michigan, but the crews got on it real fast.
Old 08-18-2013, 06:55 PM
Platinum Member

I've smelled that smell down here (in the southern lower) as well and didn't know what it was. I do now. Our prevaling winds are from the southwest blowing northeast almost all the time.

Lots of precip here, in fact too much. I''ve had a terrible year bringing in hay, my only salvation is being retired I can play hop scotch with Ms. Nature to some extent.

Irrigation or not, it still looks drier that a popcorn fart out there.......