Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

Finished a rifle with Duracoat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-26-2006, 02:28 PM
Silver Member

Re: Finished a rifle with Duracoat

Dave, Sorry I didn't get back sooner. Duracoat says you should not go above about 110 deg. 100-105 seems to be great. I can spray, let it sit for 30-40 minutes in the box and then tape and spray the next color. I have not had any trouble doing it this way. Duracoat is designed as a time cure epoxy as opposed to a heat cure epoxy, so too much heat can cause problems such as cracking and flaking (from what I have heard, though I have never tested it). From my extensive talks with the men at Duracoat, They say that full hardness is acheived in 3-4 weeks. The finish can be handled and even shot, within days, but it will continue to become more durable within the first few weeks. I have found that it does not like handguns and kydex holsters. They say that spraying it over parkerizing is the most durable application. So far all the rifles I've done were just matte blasted and painted, with no problems. Good luck, it is a fun finish [image][/image] [image][/image]
Old 06-26-2006, 02:40 PM
Gold Member

I have to say, those 2 rifles look awesome!
Old 06-26-2006, 03:25 PM
Platinum Member

257speed

Thanks for the reply and info.

I believe I like the finish pattern on the upper rifle the better of the two, I'm a fan of long distance (big blotches) camo vice the short range stuff (smaller blotches). The bottom seems to me to be a mix of the two and is very nice but that top one has got my attention, seems pretty effective in that environment.
Old 06-26-2006, 04:04 PM
Platinum Member

Lookin' good......

Any feedback regarding barrel heat retention vs no duracoat?
Old 06-27-2006, 08:26 PM
Silver Member

Dave, I like the upper one better myself. I have done it in woodland colors also and it looks great. The lower one was done specifically to match Predator camo clothing. Feel free to e-mail me, I have learned some little tricks that make the camo patterns turn out really nice.

Roy, As far as I know, there is no change in the heat retention that I have noticed. That's certainly not to say there isn't, but I sure have not noticed it. I have done a number of semi and full auto AR's and M-4's and they still heat up the same under full auto fire.
Old 11-12-2006, 10:52 AM
Silver Member

I know this is an old post but what were the colors used on the top rifle?
Old 09-05-2009, 09:29 PM
Silver Member

I love Duracoat and have been using it for several years now. I think it's the toughest thing on the market. After the Duracoat has fully cured (6 weeks), you can degrease and clean with Gun Scrubber - it just cleans the crud off of your Duracoat coating too.