Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

Finished a rifle with Duracoat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-24-2006, 04:38 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Finished a rifle with Duracoat

Hey Dave , have you tried doing any "scuff test" with the finish yet to see how durable it is? it looks like a realy nice job.
Old 06-24-2006, 05:47 AM
Platinum Member

Roy

The smoke alarm addition sounds like most of my attempts at things. When I get to puttering my wife tries to stay pretty alert and breaks out the bandages and tape, our fire extinquisher is in the dinning room (middle of the house).

Tractor Supply is a neat store and unusual for around here (as you surmised). Lot's of strickly men's stuff (masculine family component here), chains, high grade bolts, fuel tanks, fencing equipment (electric fence!!!), trailers, vet supplies, Carhartt sales, horse gear, welders!!, torches!!! (fire is always good for a family panic attack!), hitches, plows, torches (I like torches!).

JDJones

I really don't need to perform a specific "scuff test", my entire life has been one of those and if I have a rifle along it suffers the same fate. The finish seems pretty hard, no scratches on the bolt surfaces yet and I've hard it out shooting a few times. I'll wait for the five weeks full cure time then give it a proper working over.

The Duracoat was easy to use so I shouldn't get much credit, all I did was stay inside the lines.
Old 06-24-2006, 05:54 AM
Platinum Member

That "skateboard tape" on the rifle is actually 3M stair tread tape. I put that stuff on nearly all my rifles, I like the feel of it for indexing my hand when shooting. It also makes the rifle hang on to me as I hang on to it (don't put it on the cheek piece (that'd be a scuff test)). I started using it about 5 years back when doing some tactical competitions, ice, water, mud, snow, sweat make a rifle slippery, that rough tape helps a lot.
Old 06-24-2006, 07:57 AM
Platinum Member

[ QUOTE ]
That "skateboard tape" on the rifle is ... for indexing my hand when shooting.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah! so that's the term for the "feel" that keeps your hand in the same position for each shot. That's why I build my palm swells and thumbholes 'just so'. Also helps with keeping elbow positioned consistently.

Wonder how close that store is to buffalobob? No better place than one like that for gizmo parts. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 06-24-2006, 09:16 AM
Platinum Member

Roy

buffalobob is down the road a way, about 30 miles I'd say. I'll bet he has a favorite store over his way too but I'm thinking he's a "dumpster diver" at NASA's Goddard Space Flight Center or David Taylor Model Basin, Naval Surface Warfare Center or something such.... Hummm... neutron nebulizer... naaa, carbon dioxide LASER... nope, hafnium neutron flux rods... nnaaaa, ball of orange shotline string... aaahhh cooil!
Old 06-24-2006, 09:46 AM
Platinum Member

Crime scenes are the best place to get your gear. Policemen always leave their car doors open and sticking way out in traffic so you just have your kid reach out the window as you creep by and get whatever you need. The crime scene plastic tape is really good stuff for wind flags. If you know where you are going ot be hunting you can tie it onto the limb of a tree before the season and get the range to it and on opening day you instantly know range and windspeed.

At one yard sale the people wanted $25.00 for a camera tripod. Two weeks later I found a better one for $1.00.

The other trick is in my neighborhood Monday morning is trash pickup day so Sunday just before dark you just drive around through all the alleys looking at the stuff and get what ever you need for free.
Old 06-24-2006, 09:58 AM
Platinum Member

Been doing a little painting myself and am finished with the painting part. I wish I had something to go in it though. I also understand that the bears didn't get Richard so things are looking up for this Fall.