Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

Fiftydriver, what copper remover do you use on your rifles?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-01-2006, 12:32 AM
Silver Member

Re: Fiftydriver, what copper remover do you use on your rifles?

I agree with Kirby about Tetra Copper Solvent. I started using it about 18 months ago, and found that it still removes copper after Sweets, Butches Boreshine, Hoppes, and a host of others seem to have given up.

I have been using it the last week in cleaning the barrel during the break in, and then load development with the 156 grain Wildcat of my Krieger 7 twist barrel chambered for the 257 Weatherby. Regards, Brian.
Old 10-02-2006, 12:42 AM

Re: Fiftydriver, what copper remover do you use on your rifles?

[ QUOTE ]
Hi Another good solvent is montana Extreem 50BMG it has amonia in it but it is an oil based versian not a water based type like sweets.

[/ QUOTE ]
I've had good luck with
MT X too.

[ QUOTE ]
we have cut and polished an old piece of stainless barrel and left 50BMG on it for a week ading more each day to make sure their was active chemicals at work all the time and it did not etch the surface.

[/ QUOTE ]
That was the test design I ran by an eminent ammoniacal chemist (and a lab chemist). They both quickly pointed out the test was completely invalid because ammonia needs oxygen to be reactive. We finally designed a good test. I built a sealed container with a chemical pump - I would pump oxygen thru the barrel stub. After a week I would send a control sample of the original ammonia AND a sample of the barrel ammonia to a lab for spectrograph analysis (looking for Fe atoms).

The materials engineers I've spoken to all insist high strength ammonia will etch stainless steel.

I just ordered an 8oz can of Tetra.