Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

FFL shipping question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-23-2011, 06:30 PM
Gold Member

Re: FFL shipping question

From everything I have talked to the feds about that if it's crossing state lines AND changing ownership it needs to be FFL to FFL.

I see so many ads that say "your FFL must accept shipment from a private individual" it confuses me. I called and talked to the ATF and they say that an individual can not ship from out of state to your FFL and then have it transfered to you. They say illegal and it seems to read that way but also it seems like lots of people doing it......???? wierd.
Old 12-23-2011, 08:40 PM
Gold Member

It is not changing ownership. It is being shipped to a gunsmith for work, and then back to the owner, NO transfer.
I bought and action from Lawton, they shipped it to my FFL dealer, I filled out the paperwork and picked it up from him.
I then put the action in a box and shipped it to a gunsmith in Montana, he built a rifle around the action and shipped the RIFLE back to me, NO FFL either way as the ONLY transfer of the serial numbered part was from Lawton to me.

Dave

http://www.gunbroker.com/Support/Sup...1118&NoCount=1
"How a politician stands on the Second Amendment tells you how he or she views you as an individual... as a trustworthy and productive citizen, or as part of an unruly crowd that needs to be lorded, controlled, supervised, and taken care of."
--Rep. Suzanna Gratia Hupp (TX)
Old 12-23-2011, 09:28 PM

God bless the government, they make it so simple. It's coming from a FFL (they built the rifle), to another FFL for work to be performed working up some custom loads, and then to my FFL to take ownership. I too always thought moving a firearm across state lines needed the involvement of a FFL but never thought about it being temporary possession as opposed to a change in ownership.