Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

Favorite Hunting boots

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-11-2005, 08:22 PM
Silver Member

Favorite Hunting boots

Condition: Montana Fall - temp from 40 below to 40 above zero. Growing up hunting in Montana, I usually had a good pair of leather boots which worked as long as it was below freezing (so they didn't get wet) and didn't get too cold. Rubber boots worked in all conditions and have many disadvantages; steel shank, less traction, more weight, less flexible.

brands? Types? recommendations? where to purchase?
Old 07-11-2005, 09:34 PM

Re: Favorite Hunting boots

I have a narrow heel and high instep.

Danner makes my favorite waterproof/lightweight boot. dont remember the model name. these are leather/cordura with gortex liner. they also make several with varying degrees of insulation and many widths and outsoles.

In Seattle goto REI

in Portland goto their factory outlet

try sierratradingpost.com

I would reccommend different boots for diff temps. the temptation would be to compromise the fit by adding/subtracting socks.
Old 07-11-2005, 09:45 PM
Silver Member

Insulated all leather Danners, with full length tongue and laces all the way to the toe. Don't know what they are called? About $250. Good for walking around.
I'd get the lug sole, and some Gokey's waterproof dressing.

Good hunting. LB
Old 07-12-2005, 08:50 AM
Gold Member

For my money and feet, Meindl boots work best for me, depends on how much you hike though. I typically put on about 3-10 miles a day. You can get them from Cabelas. Specifically sounds like the Canadian model would work best. Good luck.
Old 07-12-2005, 10:15 AM
Silver Member

I currently use some LOWA hiking boots when I am rough terrain, they can't be beat. They are a german made boot designed for mountain climbing and can be bought with varying amounts of insulation. Full leather upper and inner lining. Very flexible and warm. I have the mid rubber sole that brings the rubber up about 1" from the sole, and also liked the full rubber boots that have rubber all the way over the toe, but they were more expensive. I picked them up at the local back country mountain works.
"I am a stone. I do not move. Very slowly, I put snow in my mouth and he won't see my breath. I take my time. . . I have only one bullet. I aim at his eye. Very gently, my finger presses on the trigger. I do not tremble. I have no fear"
Old 07-12-2005, 04:59 PM
Silver Member

Many thanks for all the help.
>>I would reccommend different boots for diff temps. the temptation would be to compromise the fit by adding/subtracting socks.

We have Chinook winds :
The most dramatic example of the Chinook winds occurred on January 15, 1972 in Loma, Montana. The temperature rose from -54F to 49F the greatest temperature change ever recorded during a 24-hour period.
Old 07-12-2005, 05:18 PM
Silver Member

Danners, several different boots for varying conditions. Danners have been comfortable, durable and although I have never had to use, I've heard their customer service is good.