Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

Fair Chase, a definition

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-13-2007, 03:34 PM
Platinum Member

Fair Chase, a definition

I think it would be well if a really good definition of "fair chase" were developed.

Year before last I lay on a shooting mat and/or in a bivvy and slept in the bivvy for about a week. Never moved from the spot. Saw all cows and had a bull tag.

Last year I did the same thing, in the same spot, for the same amount of time, only later in the year. Saw all bulls and had a cow tag.

This year I'm going to do the same thing in a different place with a bull tag and with someone to BS with.

If unsuccessful this year. Next year I'm going to pay 1900 bucks and do the same exact thing, most probably for the same amount of time, but I will get a shot.

Which of the above is fair chase?

We're talking empty freezer here!
Old 09-13-2007, 03:43 PM
Silver Member

They all are although coming from the UK I'm not sure what the payment of $1900 means.

I must admit you made me smile, I've been through the exact same frustrations here but I love it; its all part of the process. If the animals said "Hey Roys on his way over lets all stand for him and see which one he shoots?" You'd get bored.

Stay with it Roy, its what makes you; you and you'll get your animal and when you do it will have loads of memories and taste real sweet!!
Old 09-13-2007, 04:57 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by royinidaho View Post
Which of the above is fair chase?

We're talking empty freezer here!

Sounds to me like it's been a really fair chase on your part. Just bad results.:mad:

However, on the other hand, I don't think the critters are playing "fair" and I think they are the ones that need to re-think how they conduct themselves during hunting season.;)

I think you need to file a formal complaint with the Idaho Game Department and have them make their critters abide by something a little more fair to you.
Old 09-13-2007, 09:39 PM
Platinum Member

1900 bucks means my payment to the land owner who has 'em fenced in on about 2500 acres of mountain.
Old 09-14-2007, 09:12 AM
Platinum Member

Roy; check out GG's thread on gang hunting on this forum.

Terrific way to spend a week, empty freezer or not.

Tom

A big fast bullet will beat a little fast bullet every time
Old 09-14-2007, 11:20 PM
Silver Member

fair chase

don't do it roy buy a beef cow to feel that freezer up! I live mississippi and did u no we have elk to hunt here to, but it will cost around 1900.00. to each is own, but if i showed my buddies a pic of and elk i killed, and they ask where i killed him, and i said mississippi i would never here the end of it! on the other hand it would be cheaper than traveling out west!! na one day i'm going to get that letter in the mail from wy. saying that i finally drew an elk tag!
Old 09-15-2007, 07:45 AM
Banned

Thats the difference between hunting and "shooting",hunters dont always get a shot and they enjoy that part of the quest,"shooters" cant stand the thought of failure and pay to make sure they wont.I have been hunting elk in MT for 22 years and have never killed a truly big bull,no bigge,gives me somthing to look foward to in my hunting career,THE HUNT!Why dont you spend that $ on a goodguide and go on a fairchase hunt where your odds of getting a good bull arnt 100% but very good?You might have to work for it but it will be a hunt,not going out to shoot someones livestock,pulling the ear tags out and taking your hero pics in a spot where the fence cant be seen,if you can live with it go for it.MT illegalized high fence wild game hunting but for $2200 you can go on a back country horseback elk camp hunt where you will have the experience of a lifetime een if you never saw an elk.If its just a meat thing pay $600 to shoot a young buffalo and fill several freezers.

Last edited by NONYA; 09-15-2007 at 07:50 AM.