Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

Eye Dominance

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-31-2011, 08:22 AM
Bronze Member

Eye Dominance

I wasn't sure where to put this so its here for now, do any of you know someone that is right handed and left eye dominant? If so, how do they shoot? I started working with a young shooter this weekend that is right handed for everything he does, but when it came to shooting he couldn't even see through a rifle scope. I told him to try left handed, and what do you know, his stance corrected itself, so for now I'm teaching him to shoot left handed, but I wanted some input from our vast pool of knowledge here at LRH if this would be the correct approach. I'm usually a "as long as it works don't question it" guy, but this is honestly the first time I've run across this. My thought process was that it would be easier to teach him to switch hands than to constantly fight with trying to make the right eye dominant. Any thoughts?

Justin
Old 08-31-2011, 08:27 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Eye Dominance

I have the same problem and learned how to shoot with either hand. Shotguns were the easiest to learn as you shoot with both eyes open and they can set up shooting glasses to help your eye dominance problems. Let him shoot where he is comfortable and adjust your gun buying to his preference.
Old 08-31-2011, 12:24 PM
Silver Member

I'm cross-eyed dominant and NOT happy about it. As a young teen, all I ever shot was a shotgun. Well, I've never been able to hit a bull in the ass with a scatter gun. Seeing double is a royal pain. I didn't know I was left eye dominant and right handed. Found out only 10 years ago reading about this problem in an NRA publication. I've tried to teach my right eye to be dominant while shooting with both eyes open but haven't been very successful.
Rifle and handgun shooting is not a problem....I just shoot with my left eye closed.
Old 08-31-2011, 01:07 PM
Bronze Member

Thanks for the replies so far. Even with his left eye closed, he couldn't see through the scope. Usually with young kids, I see this problem in sports because they are just getting active enough that they are still learning whether they are righty or lefty. By the time I have them in junior high and high school I don't worry about it too much because they have played enough sports or done other activities that they know, so this came as a surprise for me. Shooting left handed, he did pretty well, had about a 5 inch group at 100 yds, I'm thinking that with some practice on muscle control with his left hand he should be tightening that up to where we need it.

Justin
Old 08-31-2011, 02:19 PM
Gold Member

I am right handed and left eye dominant. I do the same as chas3stix, close my left eye when shooting. It is that simple. Rifle shooting is not as problem. I am an average shot with the shotgun though. I tried shooting with a shotgun right handed, both eyes open and I was a BAD shot.

Stu.
Old 08-31-2011, 04:36 PM
Platinum Member

I have an EXTREMELY dominant left eye and I am basically right handed. I have always shot left handed with a rifle and I always shot a pistol with my strong hand which is my right. Several years ago, I made the switch with archery and went to left handed because of the dominant left eye. I have shot traditional archery for over 30 years and had thousands of dollars in right handed bows but I just was never as consistant as i would have liked to have been. So, i made the switch and I should have done it long long ago. It took me a little while for the muscles to develop but its been way worth it. So.......my two cents worth-----I would teach someone to shoot whichever their dominant eye is.

Randy

"I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than be in any city on earth." ---Steve McQueen
Old 08-31-2011, 05:18 PM
Platinum Member

I am right handed and left eye dominate. I grew up closing my left eye to shoot. I got into skeet shooting and learned to keep both eyes open by placing a small piece of scotch tape on the left lens of my shooting glasses in the spot that where it focused and it makes your right eye take over. I since have taught myself to shoot with both eyes open right handed with a pistol with my right eye. It was hard but with much practice I have accomplished it. I still close my left eye to shoot a rifle either with open sights or scope. If the youngster can learn to shoot lefty then let him do it.