Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

Exploding Prairie Dogs.....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-02-2005, 09:49 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Exploding Prairie Dogs.....

ABINOK

Lones Wigger trained all of my snipers at the Chu Lai sniper school. I never met him personally but he did a great job and they were really fantastic shots after he got through with them.

The mans other exploits are better known to the public but to me he is a legend for his ability to take a 19 year old kid with a clunky old national match M-14 and turn him into a formidable sniper. I ran Echo Recon 2/1, 1970-1971 up in I Corps: Chu Lai, Da Nang, DMZ, Khe Sahn, Hill 845.

I have found his email address and intend to ask him if he would happen to know where I could get a hold of the Americal Division sniper record for Viet Nam. I am interested in whether my man is recorded with the longest kill. I will not mention the guy's name here but Wigger will know of whom I speak.

I will think about the bullet spin and make some calculations. But I myself will not argue with the man over guns and shooting. I would just sit and listen and learn. It was my experience with my snipers that got me thinking about how togo about shooting elk on the next ridgeline. I reasoned if they could hit something as small as a person that surely I could hit something as large as an elk.
Old 09-02-2005, 12:45 PM
Platinum Member

Here is a long article on momentum and shooting metal plates.

http://horusvision.com/hv.cfm?pg=exi...is_art-39.html

With a metal plate you can get "back splatter" which will cause the momentum transfer ratio to be greater then one (semi-elastic collision). On soft animal tissue you do not get "back splatter" (totally inelastic collision).

Having thought for only a short while on the bullet spin issue, my preliminary thoughts are that the fragments are flung out radially by the spin and cannot have a "spin induced" contribution along the path of the bullet. Their effect is 90 degrees to the path of the bullet and they open up the wound channel width not lenght (moving inertial frame on bullet center of mass). In other words they do not contribute to the target moving backward only exploding. Fast twist barrels explode dogs better than slow twist? Thats a funny thought. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

I guess we agree.

Just my preliminary thoughts.
Old 09-02-2005, 02:12 PM
Silver Member

sewwhat89, while the round caused massive damage, it did not "lift or throw" her anywhere, that was her reaction to either the gunshot or the impact, for in order to lift and throw her back six or seven feet, it would lift and throw you back six or seven feet.

BB, and BB [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] are correct. It would take a round quite big expanding ALL its energy on the deer for the projectile to actually move it.
Old 09-14-2005, 12:43 PM
Bronze Member

I find that hard to believe that a deer can be lifted off the ground from a small .45 caliber bullet travelling at low velocities, i have shot deer with all sorts of calibers in all sorts of places and they seem to take the hit with stride and are NEVER lifted off the ground. seems like BS to me lol. you would have to hit her with a 14.5mm projectile with a boxing glove attached at the tip or one of those ACME punching arms(remember cartoons?) to do that hahhaa.