Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

This ever happen to you? Second time for me (in 36 yrs)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2005, 11:01 PM
Platinum Member

This ever happen to you? Second time for me (in 36 yrs)

Was out tuning up the 375 this morning. Was inspired by Ian's story in the AM Hntr.

Was shooting 3 shot groups @ 100 yds. Load 3, walk out back to the bench and shoot 3, change targets. You know, the standard routine.

After about the 3rd group, I had just returned to the bench and put the shells in the tray when what do I see but ol' Mr. Coyote loping across @ about 150 yds.

Well, needless to say after some scratching for traction, trying to compensate for the lope, lead was right on, elevation was just low enough to MISS [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]

But if it had been a big brown bear, I'd a got 'em.

Guess I'll have to wait another 36 years. Last time it was a red fox @ a range in Newport News VA. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 04-16-2005, 11:08 PM
Silver Member

Re: This ever happen to you? Second time for me (in 36 yrs)

Only the time I was at the range fireforming brass for an elk hunt, when a group of elk happened on to the range. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 04-16-2005, 11:33 PM
Gold Member

I once flew to the UK for a long weekends Roe stalking in Scotland. I flew in to Humberside Airport and my Dad picked me up. I had a jeep parked at my folks place and just before the 4 hour trip north to Scotland i decided to just go to the farm and have a quick zero check, you never know after flying, those baggage monkeys don't take care of anything. I was just about to pull the trigger on a paper target when i saw 2 Roe deer down in a dale. Darn if it wasn't the whiley old buck i had been after for the last 5 seasons accompanied by a Doe. I ranged the buck at 325m adjusted the PMII and dropped him in his tracks witha 180gr interlock. Biggest Roe Buck i ever saw alive or personaly shot.
Took him home and dressed him out, set of 4 hours late for Scotland, hadn't gone 50 miles when i got a flat, finaly got tho Scotland and didn't see a deer all weekend. typical, i'd have been better of quitting whilst i was ahead and going for a beer with my ole Dad..
strange how things happen ain't it?
Pete
Old 04-17-2005, 01:10 AM
Platinum Member

Well when the guys from Utah brought the MOAG up to Id we had a yote come bee-boping over the hill to within 50 yards during a lul in the shooting. 7 guys and only one had a gun in their hands. Gonehuntingagain ran for his AR and got a few shots off while Goodgrouper spun off the bench for an offhand shot or two with his purple bolt gun. 6mmBR I think. One of the guys first shot stumbled the dog and several shots followed but after the first round went off the tail went up and the blue flame came out and that ol' boy was G-O-N-E gone.
Old 04-17-2005, 10:59 AM
Silver Member

I had a customer come in to have a shotgun fit to his 13 yr old son for Turkey hunting. They had spent several hundred dollars on calls, clothes and classes on Turkey hunting at the warehouse sporting goods store up the block. I told the son to bring me a picture of his bird when he got one and I'd hang it up on the wall. The next weekend his back with a picture for me of a nice tom, he started telling me how they had gotten the camp set up a few days before the season started and had scouted hard for hunting spots and birds. Come opening day they left mom and little brother sleeping in the tent and were set up before sun rise in a good blind, they started calling but nothing came in or even answered them. They decided to go in for lunch and then try another spot in the afternoon, they came into camp and had lunch and took a nap before setting out again. They got up around 4PM and put on fresh face paint for the afternoon hunt, as they stepped out of the tent there was mom and little brother feeding chips to 9 turkeys. To there credit they didn't start shooting right then instead they gave them a 30 minuet head start.
Old 04-17-2005, 11:03 AM
Sponsor

A few years ago at the Fernan range near Couer D' Alene Id. the July 4th Independance Day Machine Gun Shoot was called cease fire so a cow moose and calf could cross the range. They were in no big hurry and could be seen walking in the distance after the shooting started again.

www.defensiveedge.net
1-208-687-2659
Old 04-17-2005, 11:13 AM
Silver Member

I had a customer come in to have a shotgun fit to his 13 yr old son for Turkey hunting. They had spent several hundred dollars on calls, clothes and classes on Turkey hunting at the warehouse sporting goods store up the block. I told the son to brin