Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

European products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-24-2013, 01:13 PM
Silver Member

European products?

I’m wondering about if you in the USA are getting more than just brass (f. ex. Lapua, Norma), some types of rifles (Tikka…) and optics (Zeiss…) from Europe? I’ve never read about bullets of European production, any kind of powder or even fab – ammo in our blog. Is this because customers in the US are simply not interested in these products, or what could be the reason for this? Is it maybe the American industry, that doesn't want any more concurrence in its own country and therefore doesn’t import the stuff?
In contrast to that do we have quite a widespread supply and demand of American shooting – hunting equipment in Europe.
I’m looking forward to your answers.
Old 08-24-2013, 11:32 PM
Gold Member

Re: European products?

We are blessed to have a robust industry from large corporations to cottage industry producing a mind bogleing array of "stuff". Throw in import restrictions and there is little reason to go outside the US. That being said we are seeing European brass and powders with more frequency.
Old 08-25-2013, 02:00 AM
Silver Member

Thanks for the answer. It's more or less what I expected would happen. The interest isn't big enough to take a look over the atlantic. It's a pitty, because there is a lot of equipment in the "old world" American shooters/ hunters could benefit of. Even though that we got a robust, highly specified and developed industry too, are European hunters/ shooters more openminded and like to try equipment from other parts of the world. Over here we draw a comparison between parts of equipment, doesn't matter where they come from, and than take a conclusion. With a view not restricted it'll much easier to reach one's goal.
Old 08-25-2013, 07:02 AM
Bronze Member

I plan on purchasing a Zeiss hd5 in the near future. I can tell ya this much, Id be more apt to buying a product from Europe if we had them available than I would most of the Asian junk the markets are flooded with now. Shotty quality control and standard of materials used are lowgrade in most of them. Thats just my experiance and opinion.
Old 08-25-2013, 07:41 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILtoMT50 View Post
I plan on purchasing a Zeiss hd5 in the near future. I can tell ya this much, Id be more apt to buying a product from Europe if we had them available than I would most of the Asian junk the markets are flooded with now. Shotty quality control and standard of materials used are lowgrade in most of them. Thats just my experiance and opinion.
Thanks a lot for your open answer. Zeiss is an absolute top product and always a superb choice even it's expensive. Worth the money! I personally have chosen the American 300 WM before the 8 x 68 S because of its versatility, and I do love it. Mounted on the gun is.. a high quality illuminated Leupold VX - 6. I often use ammo of American production like Hornady and Federal even in my shotgun. The opportunity of choices is one of the reasons that makes our sport so incredible interesting. If you sometimes get the opportunity to look at rifles like f. ex. the Heym (SR30, SR20), Mauser 03, Sauer 202 or the Danish Schultz & Larsen Victory, do it and you won't regret it! They are of highest quality standards out of the box, so you don't need to upgrade them at all.
Old 08-25-2013, 08:28 AM
Bronze Member

thanks, i was going to ask you to post a few of the euro companies that we should check out.
Old 08-25-2013, 09:28 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILtoMT50 View Post
thanks, i was going to ask you to post a few of the euro companies that we should check out.
All the compagnies beneath are easily to find by google, and all of them have an English webside. These are just some examples. You can find a lot more if you want to.

Rifles:
Heym Waffen; Mauser Waffen, Sauer Waffen, Blaser Waffen, Merkel Waffen, Steyr Mannlicher, Krieghoff...

Powders: Norma, Bofors, RWS and Vihtavuori (will be shut down by its French owners)

Bullets: Norma, RWS, Lapua, Brenneke, Blaser CDP, Sako, S & B...Lutz Moeller (fantastic) small manufacturer with best ammo for the money, 2 websides, some pages in English... and many , many more!

Optics: a hell of them like Zeiss, Swarovski, Kahles, Schmidt & Bender, Doctor, Kaps, Steiner.... Good search!