Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

ELK vs MOOSE . . . Who needs a bigger gun/bullet

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-29-2011, 04:07 PM
Bronze Member

ELK vs MOOSE . . . Who needs a bigger gun/bullet

I read about elk just about everywhere I turn, and it seems that the general impression that most people have of them is that they are one of the toughest critters around and while they can be taken with the good ol .270 or .308 at reasonable ranges, big 338s seem to be favored by many who hunt them at longer ranges, not just for the ballistic advantage, but for the extra hitting power.

What I'm wondering is, how do elk stack up against moose? Sure a 600 or 700lb elk seems tough when compared to a white tail or mule deer, but if most people who hunted elk also hunted 800 to 1200lb moose...would the elk still have the reputation for toughness that it does.

Simply by body mass, the moose would seem to require more effort to put down. But is there more to it than that?
Old 03-29-2011, 04:39 PM
Silver Member

Re: ELK vs MOOSE . . . Who needs a bigger gun/bullet

I've killed both and my nod goes to the elk as a tougher animal. In my experience moose just hang out and die after being shot. Elk almost always run at least a short distance, even with solid heart/lung shots. I don't feel under-gunned for either with my 270 WSM.

Old 03-29-2011, 05:16 PM
Gold Member

I have to agree with timberbeast7. Yes Moose are a lot larger animal but Elk are in my opinion the toughest 4 legged critter alive.
Old 03-29-2011, 07:07 PM
Gold Member

I can only answer about Elk because I've never shot a Moose but I can say this about Elk, they are without a doubt the toughest SOB's I've ever hunted. I can promise you this, make a marginal shot on a Elk then crowd them and get their adrenaline pumping and you very well could be in for a very long day.

One of the things I really like about shooting elk at long distance, especially when you have the right equipement, is the long distance shots usually get them confused and even if you don't make a dead on the spot kill shot they often will just kinda mill around in that one spot and either give you another shot or fall/lay down and die.
Old 03-30-2011, 08:26 PM
Platinum Member

I'm with timberbeast on this one......

A moose must have at least 20 gallons of blood to get rid of before it goes down. I did a perfect 60 yd heart shot on one and he just walked on up the hill about 50 yards.

I was so flabbergasted I never thought about additional shots.

After a while he toppled over rolled down to the original spot where shot then stood up. I came to my senses and put another 270 - 130 Sierra BT through both shoulder blades. Didn't really need that shot but how was I to know
Old 03-30-2011, 09:35 PM
Silver Member

I've killed a lot of moose over the years, the thing with most of them isn't that they die easy so much as they don't tend to run after they have been hit. I've watched them continue to feed after a good shot and then just get tired and lay down and die. If you go running up after them as soon as you hit them you'd be suprised at how far a wounded one can go. I've watched many people shoot a moose over and over again because they thought they had missed, only to find that any one of the shots would have been sufficient.

Gus
Old 03-31-2011, 01:10 AM
Platinum Member

Elk will generally run farther, and Moose will generally live longer in my experience. Moose don't seem to be impressed as much as Elk with multiple solid hits. I watched a Moose take 2 magazines of .300 magnum (7) die of boredom while the rifle was being reloaded for the third time. None were bad hits really. The casual stroll he took after the first 4 rounds gave the impression he just wanted a quiet place to eat lunch!
I've always wondered, if Elk and Moose had canines and claws what would the minimum caliber recommendation be?
Either is capable of an awesome display of tenacity, and making you re-evaluate the meaning of tough.